Chapter 14

Chris, Lindsey, Iris and Kaitlin all walk into the house the next day. Kaitlin was in her softball uniform, covered in dirt, grass stains and sweat. She was smiling ear to ear.

"That was so awesome!" Kaitlin signs.

Lindsey smiles and signs, "You did great, honey. We're so proud of you. Now, go shower; you're filthy."

Kaitlin laughs, "Okay. Be right back." She sighs before skipping off.

Iris and Chris help Lindsey to the couch and she sits down.

"You doing okay?" Iris asks Lindsey.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Well, just in case, let me take your blood pressure."

"Okay, but do it quick. I don't want Kaitlin to come out and see you doing that and think something's wrong. She's just so happy her team won; I don't want to upset her."

Iris nods, then reaches into a drawer in the end table and grabs a blood-pressure cuff. Lindsey holds her arm out and lets Iris do her thing.

Chris finally speaks up, "You sure you're doing okay? You looked dizzy the entire game."

"Yeah, I'm fine, I'm fine. I'm just happy I got to see her play. She's gotten so good."

"Yeah, she's really good."

"Wait until you see her play volleyball. She's crazy." Lindsey says before laying back.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just tired. Today was a really good day though. I'm happy"

"Well, everything seems to be in check." Iris says.

"Thanks, Iris." Lindsey says before looking to Chris, "So, when are you going to tell Kaitlin about your choice?"

"I don't know. She's really freaked out about what happened and she just doesn't want to talk about any of it. I guess I'm just going to wait until she's ready."

"But what if she never is?"

"Well, it won't change my mind, and I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page as to who we want getting custody of her."

"As long as it stays that way, the judge should pick you."

"Nothing is going to change my mind now; not after hearing about those people."

Lindsey nods, "I was in some bad foster families like that..."

"Did they ever find out what happened to the other kids in that house?"

"They were taken to  real foster homes and are safe."

Chris nods, "Good...God, I can't even imagine."

Lindsey shakes her head, "I can't think about it."

Chris puts an arm around her, "I'm gonna keep Kaitlin safe, okay? No one's gonna hurt her."

Lindsey nods, "I know...I trust you." She says, softly.

They stare at each other in silence for a moment, getting lost in each others' eyes.

Chris swallows, "This probably isn't a good idea..."

Lindsey gives a small laugh, "No, probably not."

They don't change their positions.

They then hear footsteps. Chris and Lindsey come apart as Kaitlin walks out in normal clothes.