Chapter 5

I spent two to three hours with Kaitlin every day of the two weeks that I was in Albuquerque. I never wanted to spend too much time with Kaitlin because I knew that Lindsey's time with Kaitlin was limited and I didn't want to take away their time together.

Kaitlin and I got along well and I was even looking forward to seeing her again. I wasn't sure I was ready to take full custody of her yet though. Maybe it was still because, like I said before, she still didn't really feel like my daughter yet. I can't really explain it...I just sort of felt like her friend rather than her parent...

Chris and Kaitlin sit on the front steps of the house, talking.

"So, today's your last day?" Kaitlin asks, mouthing her words.

Chris nods, "It's only for a month though. Then we have a little bit of time off and I'll come here for four or five days." He says, speaking verbally, but signing what he knew, "Then the band leaves for a month and a half on a headlining tour."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, a headliner basically means that we're the main act. This upcoming tour in South America though, we're supporting, which means we're one of the opening acts."

Kaitlin nods, "That sounds like it'll be a lot of fun."

"I had fun with you too. We have each other's numbers so we can text and I'll send you lots of pictures."

Kaitlin nods.

"We'll stay in touch, I promise. I don't want you to think I'm only acting like I like hanging out with you just to keep my dirty little secret or because of the court-order. You're really cool, Kaitlin."

Kaitlin smiles, "I try."

"You don't need to. I'd say you've got it pretty much figured out."

Chris looks at the time and sighs, "Damn, I should get going." He says, standing, "I gotta be at the airport at six in the morning, which I am not looking forward to."

Kaitlin nods and stands, actually looking disappointed.

They walk back inside. Lindsey sat at the dining room table, wearing her wig  reading glasses. She sat looking at her laptop and had a bunch of files next to her.

"Hey." Lindsey says, looking up.

"Hey." Chris and Kaitlin say in unison.

Chris turns Kaitlin to him, "I'll text you as soon as I land tomorrow, okay?"

Kaitlin nods and hugs him. Chris hadn't expected that, but he hugs her back. They come apart and Kaitlin turns to Lindsey.

"I'm going to go finish my homework."

"Okay, honey." Lindsey signs.

Kaitlin gives one last wave to Chris, then walks off to her room.

Lindsey stands, "Chris?"

"Yeah?"

Lindsey walks over to him, "Thank you so much for doing this and for being so good to her. You're a good distraction from everything that's happening."

"What are you doing?"

"A few different things. Looking through legal documents, paying any last minute bills; writing my will."

Chris blinks, "Really." He states, "That sounds...fun."

"Yeah, tell me about it." Lindsey deadpans, "Anyway. I was really scared to bring you into Kaitlin's life, but now, after seeing how you are with her...it makes me wish it had happened a long time ago."

Chris gives a small smile, "Well, you raised an amazing kid."

Lindsey smiles as well, "Nah, she's amazing on her own." She says, tearing up, "I'm gonna miss her...I just want her to be safe when this whole thing is over."

Chris steps forward and hugs Lindsey a moment. He could tell she through a really rough time and that it was taking a lot for her to keep herself together. This whole thing was so terrifying for him and Kaitlin; he couldn't imagine what Lindsey must be going through...

A/N: Short filler. Buuuuuuuut Chris is leaving for tour again. How do you guys think that will go under? What will the time apart do for Chris and Kaitlin?

Let me know what you think!

xoxo, Scissorhands.