Epilogue

"You know what to do, right?" Chris asks.

"Yes, Dad, we went over it, like, seven times. There's another kid in my school that speaks sign language, so I go to the office and they'll meet me there, show me around and help me with classes."

"Okay, okay, just making sure you have everything under control."

"I do."

Chris laughs, "I'm new at this, give me a break."

Kaitlin laughs as well, then hugs Chris briefly. They then come apart.

"Love you, Dad."

"Love you too."

Kaitlin gets out of the car and walks up to the school with a crowd of other kids. She walks inside and heads to the main office.

Kaitlin signs and speaks to the woman at the desk in the office, "Hi, I'm Kaitlin Audeberrie

Kaitlin signs and speaks to the woman at the desk in the office, "Hi, I'm Kaitlin Audeberrie."

The secretary nods, "Ah, yes; hi, Kaitlin. Your translator will be here any moment."

As if on cue, in walks a boy. He was fairly tall and well-built for his age; he looked athletic. He had olive-tan skin, dark hair and dark eyes and was decently attractive considering he was fourteen and most fourteen boys are a bit awkward.

"Are you Kaitlin?" He signs and verbally speaks.

Kaitlin nods.

"Hi, sorry I'm late, I got lost. I'm Alex."

They shake hands.

"It's nice to meet you." Kaitlin signs.

"You too. Since I've been assigned to help you, our schedules are identical. So, I'll show you to your locker and our first class."

Kaitlin nods and walks out with Alex. Kaitlin's stomach filled with butterflies.

"So, how do you know sign?" Kaitlin asks.

"My dad is deaf, so I just grew up learning it."

Kaitlin nods.

"If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been deaf?" Alex asks.

"Since I was four or five."

"Are you new in town?"

"Yes. I moved here to live with my dad. My mom died a few months ago, so I'm living with my dad now."

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry."

Kaitlin shrugs, "It's okay. My dad is really great."

"Well, that's good."

"So, does this school have the usual sports' teams here? Because I really want to try out for softball or volleyball; maybe both."

Alex snorts, "If that's what you're into."