Chapter 18

Decision day came faster than any of us could have seen; maybe that's because it actually did come sooner than we'd originally planned. Despite my nerves in the past, I was ready. I had rehearsed what I wanted to say to the judge a million times in my head and I was confident that Kaitlin would agree that I was fit to parent her. If for some crazy reason, the judge decided to put Kaitlin in foster care, I already had a plan to fight to get her back.

It was scary, sure, but I was ready to take Kaitlin in and be the father she deserved to have. I didn't really know how to be a parent - Hell, I still don't, and sometimes it's still terrifying...but Kaitlin is a good kid and, overall, easy, haha. Anyway, my point is, it is scary, sometimes. Kaitlin and I got to know each other well, but I never got to see her grow up or raise her.

So in walks to my life a thirteen year old girl who I still find new things about every day. Because I hadn't been...trained I guess you could say, as a parent, it's still hard for me to remember certain things; like, Kaitlin absolutely refuses to use makeup unless she's completely sure it's cruelty free or that she hates being called Kate or Katie or that if she eats shrimp, she'll, like, die. And I knew then that I would still have a lot to learn when decision day came, but...I was definitely ready for everything that I had to face because I knew that it would all be worth it when Kaitlin got to live a happy life...And it was.

Chris walks into Kaitlin's room, which was pretty much just a sea of boxes and storage bins. Chris wore a simple suit and tie with no makeup and his hair pulled back. He was extremely nervous, but prepared for every turn today may take.

Kaitlin stood in her mirror, brushing her hair. She wore a navy blue mid-thigh-length dress with a black jacket over it and black combat boots. Kaitlin sees Chris in the mirror reflection and turns to face him. Chris then saw that Kaitlin's hair was now only to a little past her shoulders and she now had bangs.

 Chris then saw that Kaitlin's hair was now only to a little past her shoulders and she now had bangs

"Woah." Is the first thing Chris says, "Did you cut your hair?"

Kaitlin nods, "I got it done yesterday. I figured today marks a new life for me no matter what happens, so maybe a new look was in order too. What do you think?"

Chris smiles, "I think it looks great."

They sit down.

"You okay?" Chris asks, growing serious.

Kaitlin shrugs, "I've been better, but I've been worse."

"You ready for today?"

"I kind of have to be."

"Everything is going to be fine. I don't see any reason why the judge wouldn't pick me, but even if he doesn't, I'm going to fight for you."

Kaitlin nods, "And you aren't scared?"

Chris chuckles, "Of course I am."

"Well, you sure are good at hiding it."

Chris gives Kaitlin a side hug, kisses the top of her head, then breaks the embrace, "We're going to be okay." He signs before looking around the room, "So, you've already gotten a lot of things packed it looks like."