Chapter 7:Clouded Vengeance

Guiltare sat in the keep, looking over the intelligence report before her. It was a scroll sent from Walna, the capital city of Sawaln, to its main army.

"To General Daryan,
The news of the advance army's defeat is indeed troubling. However, we have it on good authority from our spy that the mercenary band Black Griffin is no longer serving under this 'Zao Zwilt' person. It would seem their contract was for only one battle. As such, we cannot allow them to press their temporary advantage and conquer any more southern land. The king and council have approved Measure 13 for this war. Do what you must."

There was no signature, but it likely came from one of the minister's underlings. It was wise, for if the enemy discovered such a letter, the clerks life would be greatly endangered, even in the capitol. Narra, who had brought her the letter, looked over it curiously."What exactly is 'Measure 13'?"She asked.

"It is essentially their admittance that they need help, and aggressively pursue it. They call in any allies, hire mercenary bands, conscript prisoners or villagers into their ranks. And, it is the only measure of Sawaln's army that allows the hiring of assassins to weaken the power of the enemy."The Demon replied.

Narra nodded attentively."I see...don't most nations take actions like that anyway?"she asked.

Guiltare nodded."True, but Sawaln is a prideful nation. Normally, they see the actions I've just described as 'beneath them'. So,for them to do any of it, they need a seal of approval from their king." She managed a smile."For them to take these measures....they must be desperate. It means we've done our job."

"And that we won't be called back to fight any more." She thought to herself, though did not let this thought escape her lips.

They walked out, and Guiltare was surprised to see Gem walking by, humming as she dragged a large boar behind her. She smiled and waved, signing."Hey! Want some? Just the usual price."

Guiltare sighed. "Always the wild child...Fine. Set up in the usual place, and have a plate ready."

She saluted, carting her prey off with renewed vigor. Narra laughed."My, she's certainly determined. Perhaps she has a new trick this time."

It was an old tradition between master and student. Gem found herself lacking adequate training partners, and had resolved to defeat the one who had trained her. Guiltare had once commented that their fights always worked up her appetite, which had made quite an impression on the then ten Gem.

So, she had struck a deal. In exchange for a training bout, Gem would provide wild game as a meal. Eventually, it had become a public spectacle, with everyone gathering to watch and feast. For eight years, she had tried unsuccessfully to outmatch her, but she never gave up.

She walked to the center of the fort, where many men had gathered in a circle. Off to the side, Morz kneeled over a fire, roasting the boar with the help of Reba, who used her magic to bind flame to any part that seemed to be too rare. She nodded in approval, then stepped through the crowd. Every man had a weapon of some kind, in the event of either side becoming too aggressive or to block accidental strikes into the crowd.

Every man, that was, except for Giles, who stood in the center of the ring, acting as referee. He nodded."Alright. First off, I don't got my scythe, so try not ta swing my way, eh? I like m'head attached!" There was scattered laughter from the crowd. He nodded." Anyways....Normal rules. No killin', no maimin', no punchin'. Only blades 'ere, eh? Fight'll end when one of ye's disarmed, one of ye's collapsed, or one of ye's given up. Clear?"

Both nodded. Gem drew her normal red-hilted blade, while Guiltare drew her simple silver blade, short and sharp, with a few runes carved onto the hilt. Giles stepped back to a safe distance, then nodded."Start!"