Chapter 53: Slaughter

The battle went as well as one could expect. The Devil lead his soldiers in, and they collapsed tents, slaughtering the inhabitants, and driving them out. The soldiers were disorganized and called out for commanders desperately, fighting back to back in a tight knot. When the doors to the tents of their leaders did open, there were only the assassins, The Swordsman and Kotetsu wielding bloodied blades, and Morz lifting one man to snap his neck before the defenders. This only demoralized them further, and soon, the few remaining had surrendered, throwing their hands into the air.

Guilta nodded to The Swordsman as he led his men over."Good work, made things much easier."He chuckled."Though I wouldn't have minded a bigger struggle, in all honesty."

Katto simply nodded."The job is done."He replied, looking as Säel led Dao down and walked over, hugging her.

Dao blinked, then smiled."Everything go alright? No scratches?" She pushed him back slightly, checking over him.

The Swordsman smiled."No scratches."He confirmed."I promise."

Dao crossed her arms."You made the same promise in the Gana planes back home when you had a knife in your gut."She replied.

Guilta chuckled."Ooh, so the children don't calm down that feminine feistiness. Shame."

Katto stood with his people, looking at the crouching prisoners."...So, what will become of them?" He asked, choosing to ignore Guilta's comment.

Guilta grinned, looking over the prisoners."Hmm...Well, they were vague about that. I could do whatever I pleased with them really. Cut them apart? Burn them? Or I hear Vrai has a lovely slave market these days..."He looked to one particularly plump man."Ah! Say, how much do you weigh? I hear some traders pay by the pound."

The man forgot his position for a moment and stood."Hey, you ta-"

Almost as soon as he was on his feet, an arrow thudded into his chest, neatly piercing through his heart. He fell back, wailing piteously. Guilta turned, growling."We were having a conversation!"

The red haired woman walked over, ignoring him and slicing the man's neck with a dagger before removing her arrow."You said shoot if they stand. He stood. I shot."She replied.

Guilta put a hand on his sword hilt, then suddenly laughed, patting Reba's shoulder."Oh, that's right, I did!" He laughed off the disrespect to him, looking back."Rasca! Never get on this one's bad side, I promise you, it's not fun." There was strained laughter from the group, and Reba walked back to a relieved-looking Deena man.

Yozaku sighed."So...What now? How do we get our pay?"

Guilta looked at Yozaku."Hmm....Oh yes, about that, I have a bit of news from our employers."

The next moment was a blur. Katto saw his hand tighten on the hilt and attempted to call out, but too late. Guilta cut upwards, slicing from just below Yozaku's bottom left rib to his top right shoulder. He blinked and stood, a perplexed look on his face. Guilta smiled and stepped aside, shoving him to the ground face-forward, watching as his blood pooled to the ground around them.

Buna roared in rage and drew his sword, running for him."You bastard! You basta-"

A well placed arrow from Reba gored through his eye, and he swung for Guilta, missing his head by several inches. He grinned and slashed as the half-blind man staggered, cutting deeply into his side and dodging aside as he collapsed silently.

Katto managed to recover from seeing two of his friends cut down and barked out to Kotetsu."Run! Get Dao out of here, no-"

He was shocked as he looked back, having forgotten of the massive form of Morz, who had a hand raised. He started to call again, but too late. Morz shot out a hand from beneath his cloak. Kotetsu initially seemed undisturbed, but staggered forward."...Bro...ther..."He murmured, seeming to have abandoned his apparent ignorance of the Basic tongue of this land. He collapsed against Katto, who nearly vomited at the sight. A small hole, no bigger in size than a coin, had been punched through the back of his brother's skull.