Chapter 18:T.H.A.R.S.O.O.C.

Vizier looked over the men before him. Many were worn, wounded, and sullen. This was what remained of the force Valga had brought to attack them. At the front were two commanders. On the left was Vodrai, standing there attentively, trying to look distinguished despite the way she had been defeated.

On the right was Vikram who, surprisingly enough, had only passed out earlier, and not perished as Reba had believed. He had surrendered, grinning, until news of Valga's death reached him. He had glared and snarled at any around him, and Vodrai made sure to keep her distance. Vizier nodded to the group, calling for their attention.

"You once served a man named Valga, and he has now perished. He left no heir, and so, his lands will be passed on to someone selected by the council." There was muttering among the men, until Vizier raised a hand."Now, normally, if a candidate can be selected quickly, that person is chosen. I happen to have such a candidate, who will likely become your next noble."

He looked at Vodrai."Were you sincere earlier, when you said you wanted to make changes in the republic?"

She blinked."Um...y-yes sir, everything I told you was true." She said.

He smiled."Do not call me sir then. Before these witnesses, I officially name you candidate for all of Lord Valga's former titles." There was great cheering from all of the gathered soldiers....all except for one,

Vikram growled."Bah! You're all idiots! The lord is barely in the ground, and here you are talking about his replacement! You were his soldiers, curse it all! We should kill this fool and avenge him!"

Vizier nodded."You are, of course, welcome to try. Bear in mind, however, that any such action would result in you and all who join you becoming outlaws, should you even survive."

Vikram scoffed."As if I-"

"And remember also-" Vizier continued."-That that is a sword which cuts both ways. You would disregard our laws, and be afforded no protection by them. I happen to know one man who would be overjoyed by that."

Vikram glared, holding out a hand to the large wall of stone behind Vizier."Let him come! I-"The wall cracked, a few pebbles falling to the ground around them. He blinked."What the....I didn't do that!"

He was suddenly aware of the tall man walking towards them, his hand on the wall, creating small cracks with his fingertips. He smiled."So...you're the man who's been trained up to kill me, hmm?"

He laughed."Just a water Mage with a clever trick, nothing more really. Don't see how you thought that would be enough."

He glared."You're the Ruin! You..." He trailed off, squinting, then gasped as realization hit him."You're that brat! You're the one who fled into the Coldwoods all those years ago! You....you're supposed to be dead! The Eisen-"

"Raised me." He finished for him."Very nice people actually, and the women are quite beautiful."

He chuckled."While we're on that subject...I feels I should tell you, I'm very excited about your Capitol. Supposed to have some beautiful ladies there too, you know. Problem is, killing someone would get me banned from there. So, for now at least, I've agreed to spare your life. But, if you want to avenge your leader, I'm waiting. It was me who killed him, after all."

He glared."You...you....!?"

Vaussten smiled."Me. Now, if I were you, I'd accept the nice lady over there as your new boss and do your best to undo that ugly past of yours. But, if you don't want that chance, if you just want to die a pathetic and petty man..." He reached inside his cloak, pulling out the diamond sword."This blade's tasted your blood already, and I bet it wasn't pleasant."