Chapter 29:Twisted Mirror

Guiltare followed after Vas as he charged through the enemy army, cutting down the wielders of Manacast blades. Fortunately, against the new foe, many of the other Deena ceased fighting amongst themselves and united with Black Griffin. Though she knew this was a selfish thought, she was glad of this, for it would dilute the loss of life amongst her own men, as well as reduce the number of enemies she could be forced to kill. Already, she had added a score more foes to her tally.

She sighed and followed her current employer as he roared in rage, running down an alley. She caught his arm, bringing him to a grinding halt. He turned angrily, but she removed her mask to match his gaze."If you wish to fight, fine. But inform me of what to expect first." She demanded."If you've hired me to fight, I'd enjoy living afterwards."

And, of course, she would have to keep him alive, though she did not mention it. Even if he thought it was from a selfish desire to maintain payment, The Demon in people's minds would not show concern for any others but herself, not her own men, and much less one of her employers.

Vas nodded slowly, seeming to regain his senses and shrink slightly beneath the gaze of The Demon."Ah...Y-yis, accers, accers, Ma 'polgies."

His brother, she learned, had trained as a Mage, and was attuned with the Light element. He had had little patience for advanced things, such as influencing light to create illusions. But, he had learned how to make 'copies', images of himself that lingered even after he had left, as well as sudden flashes of light. This was insufficient for fights and, as a result, he had worked on other skills, resolving that if his magic could not kill, he would use it to help others kill.

He had learned to Manacast with gems, a difficult skill to learn, which made the weapons easier to wield than those that relied on the magic of their owners, This meant that he likely had many magical items on his person, such as weapons or armor. His skill with a blade was weaker than most Deena, oddly enough, but he had some skill in dual wielding, which made him more formidable than many basic soldiers.

He sighed."It'll naw be'n easah fight. If Ye were ta go back ta yer men, ah'd undastan'."

She shook her head."No. My men can handle themselves, and some of your people seem to be aiding them." In truth, she was anxious to return before too many of her men were lost, but the best she could do at the moment was defeat Pol. He was the last leader who seemed to be hostile to Vas, and his death would complete the mission.

Vas nodded in agreement, then continued his run for the enemy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They saw him standing around the central walls of the city, surrounding the palace. He was very similar to Vas, but...only in the way a fallen angel would resemble its benevolent counterpart. He was simply Vas with darker clothes, scars covering every visible inch of skin, and a sunken, haunted look to his eyes. He smiled, and Guiltare flinched from beneath her mask. This man had made himself even more savage, sharpening his teeth into razor sharp points.

He smiled."My, my...This is quite a shock really." He said, cackling."Though I can only imagine what it's like for you. Seeing your own face so very wasted and worn, as though fresh from a grave. Almost as though one were peering into a twisted mirror."

Vas glared, drawing his blade."...Ah'll give Ye wun chance, 'Kay? Surrenda."

Pol seemed to consider it."Hmm...I don't believe I will. Thank you oh so kindly for the offer though."

Vas leveled his blade."Den Ye're charged wit' Treason to da Tirren Throne, and Ye shall perish."

Pol shook his head."Hmm...don't much like that offer either, dear brother."

Guiltare drew her own blade, and Pol smiled."Not even any regrets, since you've evened the blades." He said, reaching to his sides and pulling out his own.

They didn't seem too imposing, as they had no edge. There were the hilts, two slightly larger cylinders above that, and then a long, needle-like shape that met in a fine point.

He smiled."Can you guess which one is yours, brother? Granted, I have modified it a bit, and the last time you would have seen it was when you nearly impaled me with it." He cackled."But, kinslaying is beneath you, isn't it? Didn't have the heart to finish it!"

Vas glared."...Ah'll fin'sh't now!" He promised, his own blade glowing slightly. 

Pol smirked, holding his blades to the sides."Come then! And bring that mercenary dog with you!"

Vas nodded to Guiltare, and both charged. Pol stood there, same crazed look on his face. They both arrived at the same time and swung, Vas for his shoulder, Guiltare for his head. Both blows struck hard, but to their surprise, their foe shattered into tiny fragments, vanishing when they struck the ground.

Guiltare frowned."...I assume this is his skill that you told me about?"

Vas gave a brief nod.

They heard a door shut, and footsteps dashing off. Vas swore."E's run inta da palace!" He exclaimed.

He ran forward, forcing the gate door open with his hands and rushing in, Guiltare following. When they entered, they were greeted with more of Pol's copies. He had apparently prepared beforehand, having set up many in various positions.

Some of their faces were serious as they raised their blades high. Others were more jokingly placed, with some sticking out tongues at any would-be intruders. Still others were stuck in miscellaneous tasks, one carving on a tree, one scrubbing the floors, one even taking a bite from an apple.

There was laughter, and Pol called to them."My face, your face, everywhere, am I hiding, or am I right there?" Came his voice, though the echo made it hard to pinpoint where he was.

Vas scoffed, a little surprised Pol had forgotten a key detail."Stoopid, ma blade's mixed wit' ya magic. Ah can vanish these."

He looked to Guiltare."Avert ya eyes."

Guiltare raised her mask slightly, so that her eyes saw only the dull red paint inside. Vas nodded and focused. He raised his blade, and a flash of light shone across the courtyard.

Every single one of them vanished, clearing the courtyard. Vas looked around in confusion."Eh!? Where'd ya-"

Something struck his back, and he fell forward. Two hot lines of pain flashed on his back as Pol swung down, laughing."Oh! The look on your face was well worth all the set up time involved. My, those wounds look bad already!"

Guiltare quickly adjusted her mask, and when she saw what had happened, she ran forward, blade raised.

She swung down, but Pol turned. He swung his own blades, breaking her blade into three pieces. Two pieces of flattened steel clattered to the ground, while a startled Guiltare held the hilt, stunned into silence.

That blade had lasted so long, been her father's before her and...this man had broken it so easily. It had seen its way through countless battles. Saved the lives of many of her men at times.....and at countless more, signaled a charge that had doomed others, or been swung to see to it personally that a foe was dead. With that sword, she had-

Her inner monologue was cut short as Pol kicked her onto her back. He smiled, his jagged teeth giving a nightmarish image to her as she stared up."Hmm...I'll be waiting in the palace."He said,walking off with a swift kick to Vas' side as he passed."Oh, and I'll be leaving a little surprise for your friends at the entrance, just to make it fair." He walked inside as Guiltare snapped to attention and kneeled, trying desperately to save the wounded king.