Chapter 43:Vengeance

Reba spent many happy years this way, raising Giles. She taught him all that she knew about the herbs that grew near their home, from cures to poisons, to things that helped stop infections, to supplements that would help strengthen someone.

She had also stressed the importance of a herb called Sweetsting, an eight-leafed plant with leaves in the shape of knives.

"It's poisonous, you see." Reba explained."Even with magic, or with skill like ours, there are some people we just can't save. If that's the case, have them swallow it. Those bristles on the stem burst as they rub against the esophagus, and fill the mouth with a sweet taste...I've heard it tastes different for every person. It starts to numb the nerves. When it hits the stomach acid, they feel a pinch, and then they drift off. If you have a man with his guts hanging out in front of you, that's the best thing for them really."

Giles looked at her."...Is that what you'd want Ma?"

She smiled a bit and ruffled his hair."...I'd like to think that if I was suffering, I'd either have the strength to endure it, or that someone else would have the strength to end it." She replied simply.

Giles frowned, then shook his head."...Why not hope someone's skilled 'nuff ta save ya, eh?"

Reba frowned."Well, I just explained, there are some patients we..." She trailed off, seeing the innocent, hopeful look in his eyes, and sighed."...Good point my boy. You'll be a fine Doctor."

She felt happiness at his smile. He was still just a boy, after all. Let that smile vanish from his own experience, not from her advice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes, after his training, she would find the boy trembling in bed from nightmares, nightmares of a kind maiden who lured him close, then became a cruel, knife wielding witch. She would hold him and rub his back. Giles was always one who was calmed by music, and she would sing softly to him until his trembling stopped.

"Oh sweet child, how sweet it is to meet you,
Now welcome to our home.
Safe and sound, in my arms they'll never reach you,
And you'll never be alone..."

Normally, by this point, he would be asleep, and she would gently set him back down and pull the covers back over him. She would consider leaving him on his own. But, seeing him vulnerable, in combination with the sentimentality of the song to her, lead to many sleepless nights as she sat watch over him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But, as she had learned, all good things must end...but, all bad things as well. Guilta had passed during a job, and even though his daughter was just as strict, she was more tolerant of weakness.

She would make stronger efforts to save wounded, and even had a portion of all gold earned set aside to help retired soldiers, or the families of those who were slain. Whether this was a tactic to earn the men's loyalty, or some small part of her that resisted Guilta's blood and stayed good, she could never entirely tell.

One day, however, Vaussten had returned from visiting an Eisen village with peculiar news."The locals say they've had trouble with a human, fire Mage. Best description they could give was that he enjoyed the fires and had a crushed nose. He walked to the edge of the village, burned 'KB' into the ground, and left...bit odd, ain't it?"

When Reba had heard the news, she had frozen in place. Crushed nose, a love for flame...and the message he left. There was something familiar about KB.....They were initials.

Kaurren Byrn. He was alive.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She struggled with indecision for the rest of the day. She could pretend she knew nothing, of course, let others bring an end to Kaurren for her. How easy, to just watch the others march off, fight, and return later with news of his death. Just like that, no effort on her part, but a constant pain in her heart gone.