Chapter 30:Shared Taint

Gem continued struggling with her bonds, until she finally resorted to chewing herself free. It was slow work, and hard on her as dust filled her mouth and pecks of twine caught between her feet, but still she continued, recognizing actual progress in freeing herself. She had managed to free one hand but, finding herself unable to tie the knots of the other rope, resorted to her teeth once more.

She stopped suddenly and sat up as her captor entered,putting her free hand to the side and praying he did not notice.

Aven walked over, brow furrowed in anger. She cringed, thinking that he had realized her escape attempt. But instead, he kneeled, picking up the shards of plate.

She sighed in relief, grateful for the unintentional distraction.

Gem had attempted to bring it closer with her feet, but only managed to flip it to the ground.

Aven stood, holding some of the meager food, a bread crust caked with dirt and filth from the ground."Eat." He ordered.

She glared at him defiantly.

He narrowed his eyes."I'm angry enough right now, so do not try my patience."

She hesitated, then bit into it. She found it easier to eat when she compared it to the rope. He made sure she finished, then walked out, and she continued her work on the rope.

Her earlier fighting, as well as the lack of proper food, had drained most of her strength, so much that even this attempt to free herself sapped her strength. Her eyes began to slowly close, fluttering as she tried to stay awake.

She was startled awake completely as she heard the rasping of a sword from its sheathe, and looked back quickly. She narrowly avoided the blade, which sliced through the weakened ropes as though they were mere string. She hissed and turned, blinking, startled as she recognized the attacker.

The odd robes, the brown hair with streaks of gray draped across his shoulders, the hard eyes that pierced through her, as though she were simply another obstacle, another minuscule, insignificant thing in his way.

He reached his hand back, sheathing his blade and scoffing."So, you're here. Only natural, I suppose. A fledgeling Griffin such as yourself would be inclined to join the larger flock." The Swordsman crossed his arms."Even so, your presence here does complicate things. I'd not planned for any rematch yet. But...well, if we come to blows, so be it. I'll write it off at the simple and inevitable path of fate."

Gem glared, reaching for her side before she remembered her blade was no longer with her. She narrowed her eyes, making her signs quick and passing, to show her anger."What are you doing here? Last time I saw you-"

"You had that secretary woman give me quite the blow, and I can't say I appreciate it." He replied, placing a hand over where he had been wounded.

Gem glared."After you nearly killed me with those blades of yours. Excuse me if I don't go weeping over your little scratch. Hardly counts as an honor wound, wouldn't have even slowed you down if not for the poison."

The Swordsman glared."Feh. I have my own ways of measuring honor, and only a coward uses poison in battle." He shook his head."I did not come here looking for a fight, Silent Sword. You may slip away unscathed. Or, if you have thoughts of attacking me, need I remind you to do not have your own blade? It would not end well, I promise you."

She narrowed her eyes, raising her hands to reply, but froze. She heard the door creaking open, heard another rasp as a blade was drawn from its scabbard.

Aven walked in cautiously at first, but froze upon seeing The Swordsman. He growled and ran forward, slashing at him. "Get out of my mothers house, you bastard!"

Demon(#Wattys2017 Entry)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara