Chapter 32:Barrier

Guiltare managed to stop the bleeding, tearing off a few strips of her jacket and packing them into the wound. She couldn't offer any healing skills on the level of Giles or Reba, but her father had always stressed the importance of 'Rookie Surgery'. He always called it this because virtually anyone could do it, from a commander to a draftee.

"It won't save their life, by any means." Her father had warned,"But it'll certainly keep them from dying." She sighed.

Odd how the very man who had crafted her to kill had also taught her how to save this kings life. She put a hand on his back as he woke up."Easy does it. You've lost a lot of blood, and those wounds are deep."

Vas scoffed."Ah'll na b'kept down by da-Gah!"

He attempted to push himself off the ground, but felt intense pain in his back and collapsed forward, groaning.

Guiltare sighed."...I'm well aware you are not paying me to say 'I told you so', but....I did tell you so."

He glared at her."Where's ma brudda!?" He demanded.

She sighed, pointing at the palace."He ran in there, sounds like he's set a trap of some sort near the entrance. We'll wait for my men-" She insisted, placing a hand on his back as he moved to stand again."So that the king isn't killed before the fight can even begin."

He grumbled impatiently for a around half an hour, until the army approached them.

The Black Griffins were shoved aside as the Deena made their way to the front."Lord Tirren!" Said one, a heavyset man with a chunk of his nose missing."We seek yer fergiveness! Ye're our true king, an' all odda sons o' kings blood be dead, all Four an' none of 'em!"

Guiltare frowned at this news, looking at Vas, seeing a look of instant pain on his face. True, some had rebelled, but many of his brothers had probably been stuck in the city, believing he was dead and outmatched by stronger ones. Those who remained had likely been killed by Black Griffin.

She had seen men desolate over the loss of a single sibling, but with him a Deena of their royal family....to have lost forty brothers was a loss she couldn't even begin to envision.

Vas took a deep breath, a sad, tired look in his eyes."...All 'Cept fer Pol, ya mean." He looked at the entrance."...Ah'll have ta be da last o' ma kin soon...Ah, curse't all."

Guiltare placed a hand on his shoulder."It's for the best, if your city and people are to survive." She offered, trying to be of some comfort. True, this went against her normal Demon persona, but she still had some emotions within her.

He glared, obviously annoyed at her words."Easah fer you ta say. Ye eva' had ta kill ya family?" He demanded, a slight snarl to his voice.

She took a deep breath, carefully considering her answer.

"I have. And I'd do it again."

He looked at her, then sighed."...Jis get ya men readah." He said."An' quit wit' ya sappaness 'n comfat. Whetha ya ma fren, m'enemy, 'r a bystander, ya gettin' paid the same." He lifted his blade, walking towards the entrance to the palace.

She sighed, walking over to her own soldiers. She was surprised at who was leading them."Morz?" The large man nodded."Do not worry. Vaussten returned to camp with a prisoner, and was quite exhausted from his fight. He asked me to...'Tag in', I believe was his term for it."

She nodded."I see...And Reba?"

Morz shook his head."An incident. Giles seems to have been captured. Alive, no worry, but Reba's gone to rescue him. You know how she can be."