Chapter 48: Nrevac

The Nrevacians lived in one major city, etched into the walls of their underground home. No torches illuminated it, for they had no need, though many were kept in reserve for any surface traders who came down for their jewels. But, even these might not be needed soon, for there were talks of cutting off this trade.

After all, the only ones who seemed to gain from it were those on the surface. The Nrevacs would pick away chunks of their home, making crevices in which creatures could hide and pounce out at those who pounced by. They had no attachment or need for the jewels, but the things brought from the surface for them did more harm than good.

Foul smelling drinks that robbed men of their wits, odd herbs that stained the lungs, or odd metal tools that the 'cultured' men of the surface said were used for eating. A Nrevacian needed his senses to survive, stained lungs made it harder to escape tough foes, and there was no need for tools to eat when they had hands and teeth.

But, such politics did not matter to the woman who now walked the streets. She was similar to many others of her race, with a slight frame, and eyes that would show crimson in the light of the surface. Her hair, once the standard jet-black of her race, was a lighter shade, almost gray.

This was not due to age, for she had just entered her twentieth year, but rather a result of her own vanity. She had noticed a trader from the surface who, though old and wrinkled, still had hair that was a shade she had called 'blond'.

Curious, she had convinced her mate to get her some of the 'dye' the old woman used for this magic, but rather than the lighter color she had sought, she had only succeeded in making her hair look like the grey the old woman had hidden. Her mate had insisted it looked nice, but she had seen him hiding his laughter. Perhaps she should not be angry, for her family had made no such attempt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She walked along and gathered various foodstuffs. The wings of the massive bats from one booth, each as long as her arm. The bones of one of the cave predators, aged to soften so that the marrow could be consumed. A few mushrooms, carefully coated in the blood of some beast or another, a delicacy. She hummed a bit as she passed a few carved stone coins to the shopkeep, for she was excited for this night. Her mate would be back from a hunting trip, and she had good news to share with him.

She smiled and waved over, seeing a few of her friends. One of them, an older woman with her belly swollen with child, seemed pleased."Ximay! Goodness, quite the feast you're preparing!"

Ximay smiled, looking at the others. There was the first woman, Zola, the oldest of them(Though she'd vehemently deny it.). Beside her was Fiva, a slightly taller woman who kept her hair tied back similar to what she had seen a trader do. Off to the side was Ruven, a man who had cropped his hair just above his eyes.

They, like herself, were Jascuril, or 'Those at home'. They were in charge of the city infrastructure while their mates were out hunting, and had been placed in this position due to a lack of skill with hunting, tracking, or any jobs that required leaving the city.

They were also in charge of raising any children that resulted of their union. Ruven himself had a boy on his shoulders, one who was tugging on his hair as though it were the most fascinating thing he had ever seen. Ruven sighed a bit, looking at her."...Aren't you glad Maijah isn't like this?"

Ximay smiled at the mention of her daughter, who had been left at home with her grandmother."Maybe if she actually showed interest in her father, he'd stay home more often instead of volunteering for everything."She replied.

For though she loved her mate, Gexiro, very much, he was perhaps too eager to aid in the duties of the city. He was one of the Jascuban, or 'those who leave', who dealt with affairs away from the city, normally fighting. Whether it was driving off swarms of nuisance bats, using Nrevacian hunting techniques to trap the horned Gorxi or many fanged Nizrai that would serve better as food than as predator, or even the occasional trip to fight bandits who took refuge in the upper levels, Gexiro was always the first to volunteer for such duties.