Chapter XVI. The Party and The First Meeting.

“Welcome, Countess Shiver.” said the butler of the home.

“Hello.”I greeted him smiling.

“I am very happy to see your face again after such a long time. How have you been?” he asked.

“I had a hard time dealing with my parents’ deaths, but I am alright now.”

“I am very happy to hear that.” he said smiling.

“How have you been, sir?” asked Sebastian for me.

“Just been watching this household like I did since I was twenty years old. Thank you for asking.”

“No problem, sir.” said Sebastian as he bowed.

“Enjoy the party, please.” said the butler smiling as he took our coats and leaded us into the ballroom where everyone was already gathering for the opening of the night. It would be really hard to find our culprit with so many people.

I took only ten minutes for the man to appear and to start his opening speech.

“Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I am very pleased to see you here at my party. I wish you all a pleasant night and a good entertainment of course. But, before I let the music start, I want you to all know about the special guest that wanted to come to my party today. Countess Shiver, would you please come here?”

I wasn’t surprised about the fact that he would ask that from me. He just wanted to brag about the fact that a Countess wanted to come to his party. Even though I didn’t even want to come but the culprit didn’t leave me any choice.

I walked up to him with Sebastian and Ciel next to me.

“You look beautiful tonight.” he said to me as he grabbed my hand and kissed it.

“I am very happy to be here tonight.” I said back, faking a smile on my face.

“Please, everyone, enjoy the party!”

There was a small applause and the music started to play softly.

“Let’s go.” I said to Ciel and Sebastian.

But ‘let’s go’ wasn’t so easy. We first had to push and pull through all kind of people who tried to talk to us. And as a countess I couldn’t just ignore them so I tried to tell them in a quick pace that I was alright and that I had missed these kind of parties too. Obviously it were lies that I was telling but why would they care? I mean, wouldn’t it even be more weird if I told them that I had formed a contract with two demons and they were going to take my soul after I found the murderer of my parents and that I didn’t like these kind of parties but that I only attended them because I wanted to find the murderer of some women who were killed while their fiancées were probably still mourning their deaths. No, no one would understand anything about that.

“Young lady, maybe it’s better to first grab some drinks first. Otherwise you will have to catch the culprit while being thirsty.”

“That’s alright.”

“No it isn’t.” he said.

I looked at him. He had noticed that I only drank three cups of tea today. Well, I just didn’t feel like drinking something.

“Just bring me some wine.” I said when he didn’t stop looking at me.”

“As you wish.” he said grinning and he walked away.

“He is way too good at scaring people.” sighed Ciel.

I looked at him.

“Well, you know him longer than I do. So I guess you would know about it. But still, Sebastian can’t scare me at least one bit.”