Chapter 5 - LUNCH

Edited.

x HIRA x

"Hira can come in our car if she likes." Khala Khadija said, a cheerful smile covering her face as she stood in front of their car.

"Oh, no, uh..." I began, swallowing visibly as I tried thinking of an excuse on the spot. "I still need to change and stuff. It'll be a long wait." I chuckled forcefully, gesturing to my outfit and then forcing myself to smile politely.

"Nonsense, you look beautiful, mashaAllah. Come on, it's only a ten minute drive." She denied me of my basic human rights.

Ten minutes would seem like ten hours in your car.

No offence.

I had hardly talked during breakfast since Amo Musab was busy getting to know my dad and Khala Khadija was getting to know my mum and vice versa.

Now, if I went into their car, I'd be the centre of all attention and there would be absolutely no one to save me.

"I really don't..."

"Please?" She cut me off, placing her hand on my arm softly. "Just this once."

I gave her a small smile and turned to look at my parents who both gave me encouraging looks.

Whose side were they on, honestly?!

My smile faltered but I looked back at Khala Khadija and nodded. "Okay, Khala." I breathed and she thanked me before linking her arm through mine and walking me to the car.

Amir got out of the passenger seat and held the door open. It would've been chivalrous if I hadn't seen the stern nod and look his mum gave him to make him do it.

I got in first and slid to the end of the seat, Khala getting in afterwards and sitting beside me as Amir got back into the passenger seat, next to his dad.

Bismillah. Here we go.

"So, which school do you go to, darling?"

Oh jheeze.

My heart rate increased and my breaths became louder. Great.

Now she was going to know that we go to the same school and all that was going to do was open up a door that would lead to more questions.

Perfect.

"Just a local one." I said with a small shrug and a nervous chuckle.

"Which one exactly?" She asked me and I sighed. 

Give it up, khala.

"Hillside High." I said softly, knowing what was to come.

Her eyes widened, gasping as she looked at me.

"Senior campus?" Amo Musab asked and I nodded as I caught eye contact with him through the rear view mirror.

"That's Amir's school! So you've both seen each other before?" She asked, completely shocked.

Should I say we have?

When I stayed silent, Amir stepped in. "Yes, mama. We have. It's not a big deal." Amir muttered, probably rolling his eyes.

"Well, have you spoken?" She asked.

By this point I was probably as red as a tomato. Literally.

Why did I feel like they were going to get the wrong idea if I said yes?

"No." I answered quickly before Amir could say anything else.