Chapter 6 - JAMIYA

Edited.

x HIRA x

"Hira! Hurry up, man!" I heard Waleed shout from downstairs as I was putting the last pin into my hijab. I could usually pull of a hijab with no pins, but tonight was very windy and I didn't want it flying all over the place.

"I'm coming!" I yelled back loudly, grabbing my side bag from the top of my bed before jogging down the stairs. "Impatient, much?" I muttered to him, rolling my eyes as I opened the shoe cupboard and took out my black flats, putting them on before following a grouchy Waleed out of the front door.

"Impatient?" He scoffed. "You've been up there for half an hour. We're going to the masjid, not to a bloody wedding."

"I had to dry my hair! I couldn't have wet stains seeping through my hijab!" I argued as I got into the passenger seat of his car.

Yet another hijabi problem that he could never relate to.

"Then you should've worn a black hijab, Hira." He muttered.

I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever, just drive." I muttered, taking out my phone and messaging Hawwa, asking her whether or not she was coming too. She responded almost instantly

Hawwa: I'm already heree!! I'll meet you at the front!

After telling her that I'd see her soon inshaaAllah, I put my phone back in my bag and turned up the sound of the stereo, listening to Sami Yusuf's soothing voice through the speakers until we pulled into the mosque car park.

I got out of the car and waited for Waleed, who was stopped by his friend Omar.

"Sup, bro." Omar greeted and they shook hands and did a bro hug before joining me.

"Assalamu alaykum, Hira. How's it going?" Omar asked respectfully.

"Wa alaykum salam. Not too bad, I guess. Alhamdulillah. How are you?" I asked in response. 

"Good, alhamdulillah. Just pumped for soccer." He said, causing Waleed to scoff.

"If I choose you on the team."

I smiled as Omar punched Waleed's shoulder. He was my brothers friends since they were six and went to madrasah together and they're still close friends to this day, allahumma barik lahum.

"Striker?" I asked him.

"You know it. Once a striker, always a striker" He chuckled, looking back to Waleed.

I nodded my head and chuckled along with Waleed.

"Alright, well I'll see you guys around." I spoke with a nod as I left them and walked towards the women's entrance of the mosque where Hawwa was waiting.

"Hurry up, dude." She said, impatiently as she held my arm and dragged me up the stairs. "Mufti started the lecture already."

I laughed as I kicked off my shoes.

We came to the door and stopped the noise, opening the door slowly smiling innocently at the women who turned their heads to look at who had disturbed the silence.

We walked towards the younger girls who were sitting on the floor cushions and sat next to them, releasing a breath as we listened to our imam.

"And remember, with humanity comes humbleness. If Allah (swt) has given you the opportunity to get close to Him, don't think that others are not close to Him. I'll tell you why."