Chapter 9 - SLANDER

Edited.

x HIRA x

"I'll see you at the masjid  tonight inshaaAllah." Hawwa said as she gave me a quick hug at the school gates before we split paths.

"Sure you will." Someone scoffed and I turned around to see Amir with a smirk on his face.

"Get lost." Hawwa said, rolling her eyes. The smirk on his face didn't falter, but alhamdulillah he turned his back to us and walked away.

"I swear sometimes I feel li..."

"Don't even bother." I scoffed, cutting her off. "I really don't care." I said and after another minute of saying goodbye to each other I put my earphones in and began the fairly quick journey home while listening to some nasheeds.

Eventually I got to our front door, but right as I was taking my keys out of my bag the door opened, startling me.

"Baba, you scared me!" I chuckled. I wasn't sure why he was home so early. "Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

"Get inside." His teeth were clenched and I didn't know what to say, so instead, I followed his order and stepped past him, into the house.

"Baba, what happened?" I asked nervously once he shut the door.

He walked past me and into the living room where my mum was sat on the couch, giving me a solemn look.

"Mama, what's wrong?"

"Sit down, Hira."

Baba was pacing, walking up and down across me, and only once I sat down did he stop and turn to face me.

I felt my heart pound against my ribcage. Something was clearly very wrong and right as I was about to question both my parents once more, my dad exploded.

"How dare you, Hira?! How dare you put our families name to shame like this? Huh?"

What. The. Hell.

"B-baba...What are you talking about? What shame?" I scoffed, furrowing my brows in confusion.

"Do not play dumb with me, Hira! Did I not raise you well enough!? Did we not teach you that relationships outside of marriage are haram?"

Okay. What on earth is actually going on right now?

"Of course I know that!" I defended loudly, getting frustrated that I had not the slightest clue on what he was referring to.

"Are you mocking me!?" He shouted, walking around the coffee table to come closer to me than he was, holding my shoulder tightly.

"No! Baba, I have no idea what you're talking about! Where did all of this come from?" I yelled. "You're hurting my shoulder." I notified, trying to yank my arm out of his grasp. At my words, he let go and stood up straight again, his jaw twitching though his eyes softened slightly.

"Hira..." He trailed off lowly. It almost felt like he was a lion preying on its food.

"Wallahi, baba, I have no clue what you're talking about!" I stood up, standing right in front of him.

This was probably the first time in my entire life that my dad was yelling at me like this. Normally it was Waleed on the receiving end.