Chapter 18 - FAMILY

Edited.

x HIRA x

The Imam left shortly after the whole marriage process was completed and after we farewelled him, I was told to go to the backyard.

I still hadn't spoken to Amir at all. I was glued to Hawwa and Sophia's side as we gushed about me being married now.

As I walked outside, I saw a long arrangement of plastic tables and chairs along the pool. "Okay..." I trailed off quietly looking at the smiling faces behind me. "Who else is invited?" I asked.

"Just your aunts and uncles and Amir's aunts and uncles." My mum smiled at me widely, as my eyes grew.

"All of them!?" I asked and she nodded her head.

My mum only had a sister and a brother, but my dad had three brothers and two sisters.

"Kh..." I cleared my throat. "Mama, how many siblings do you and baba have?" I asked, looking at mama Khadija.

She released a soft chuckle. "I have a sister and a brother and your baba Musab has one sister."

"Are you close? What if they don't like me?" I asked nervously. I saw Amir smile at me as he shoved his hands into his suit pants' pockets and tilted his head to the side.

"They'll absolutely adore you." Amo Musab...I mean, baba Musab answered and I inhaled deeply, hoping for the best.

My mum and mama Khadija went into the kitchen to start bringing out food and my dad, Waleed and Baba Musab sat on some seats with Hassan in Waleed's lap.

"Sophia, sweetheart, can you please help your aunty in the kitchen?" My dad spoke to my cousin and she nodded at him with a smile before going inside. Hawwa, glanced at me and then at Amir who was standing behind me and she cleared her throat. "I guess that's my cue to also help in the kitchen." She smirked. I looked at her in panic, but she still turned around and walked back inside.

"Uh...I'll go and hel..."

"Hira, why don't you and Amir have a chat by the pool. Get him to tell you about his family so you know who you'll be meeting today." My dad said. I swallowed unnecessarily and nodded my head, sitting on one of the chairs next to the pool as Amir sat next to me.

He was the one to break the silence. "How do you feel?" He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, looking up at him.

I no longer had to be shy or feel bad when talking to him. He was my husband and I could talk to him or stare at him to my hearts content.

MashaAllah he was so good looking.

My heart pounded in my chest as I looked into his bright eyes.

"You don't look too happy." He commented. "It's kind of worrying."

I released a soft laugh, wringing my fingers together before shaking my head. "I'm happy. Alhamdulillah." I said. "These bracelets are annoying me though." I said in regards to the countless gold bangles that he and his family had gifted to me and his perfectly shaped lips parted. "If you didn't like bracelets you could've saved me from spending all that money on your mahr." He said, his lighthearted so I knew he was joking.

"Shut up, just because I don't like jewellery doesn't mean you don't have to pay me to be your wife. I wasn't going to become your wife for free, you know." I said, causing for him to smile, revealing his perfectly straight teeth.

"Just so you know, I would have gladly paid double what you asked for just so you could be my wife." He said, and there was an aspect of seriousness in his tone.