Chapter 30 - WALIMA

As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

Enjoy :)

::::

"Mum?" I asked as I rubbed my eyes and looked at my mum who was rummaging through my drawers.

"Good morning, sweetheart." She said, stopping her actions and turning to look at me. "Did I wake you?" She asked, her eyes a little red.

I shook my head no and asked her what she was doing as I sat up and re-tied my hair into a messy bun.

"I thought I'd pack for you so you could sleep an extra hour or two. You've got a long day ahead." She smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes.

"And you don't? Mum..." I trailed off, standing up and walking towards her.

She looked away and took a deep breath, clutching my shirt that she was holding in her hand. "I promised myself, I wasn't going to cry..." She said softly, looking at the ceiling and blinking.

I shook my head. "Mum your eyes are red. You've clearly broken that promise long ago."

Her shoulders slumped and she leant against my dresser. "Mum." I said, holding her arm.

"I'm very happy for you." She said, looking at me with a small smile. "It's just upsetting that you're not going to be living here anymore."

I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly feeling her sob into my chest, her body shaking as she inhaled and hugged me back.

I clenched my teeth and sniffled, not wanting to cry. The moment I started crying, she would feel worse.

The door creaked open and my dad walked in, sighing as he saw me and my mum in an embrace.

"Mariam. Come on." He beckoned her over and she pulled away from me, walking to my dad. He pulled her under his arm and they walked out after my dad told me to have a shower.

I walked into my bathroom and did all my business, had my shower and dried, then straightened my hair. I liked the wavy soft-looking locks that my hair would become after I straightened it and let it down after being in a bun all day and if Amir was going to see my hair tonight, then I wanted him to see it like that.

After finishing my hair, I threw it up into a messy bun and put the suitcase my mum was packing on my bed, sifting through to see what she had already packed before adding more of my clothes into it.

"Here, Hizza."

I turned around at Waleed's voice while I was trying to zip up the suitcase.

He was holding his carry on luggage in his hand, placing it onto my bed. "Let me zip it." 

I stepped away and he zipped it effortlessly.

"I thought you'd need more than just one suitcase." He said. 

"Well yeah, but I can come and go to pack them slowly." I said to him. "Plus, it'll make mum less sad."

"No, it's better if you just take it all at once. She'll cry for one or two days then we'll all adjust to it." He said. "Pack everything."

I nodded my head and sighed as he left the room. Looking at the ceiling, I prayed that Allah (swt) made this change easy on my family and I.