| Chapter Three |

Raelyn

I fell asleep as soon as Drake left my room last night. I was just ready to wake up and finally be eighteen. Growing up as a werewolf, you dream about this day, the day you become an adult and can find your mate. It is supposed to be the most powerful feeling. Some are not fortunate enough to find theirs right away, it could even take years for the unlucky wolves. However, I know my mate is in the next room. My wolf will also become more active, like having a more vocal self-conscious.

My alarm goes off on my phone and I groan reaching over to turn it off. Then my eyes go wide, and I jump out of bed. I scurry to the bathroom hoping the door is not locked today, it is a Wednesday and he always forgets to unlock it on Wednesday's leaving me stuck in here until he remembers around dinner time. It is a good thing I have my snack drawer. I am just glad he remembered today!

I quickly take a shower, I want to look my best for today. I fix my hair and put on some light makeup. I head back into my room and throw on my favorite light blue, flowy dress and my converse, of course. Now that I am finally ready, I stand at his bathroom door and prepare myself to finally lock eyes with Drake and officially be mates. I nervously twist the nob, trying to contain my breathing. I open the door fast with one exhale.

I look around for a second, but he is not here! I am hurt that he did not wait for me to get up and to see if we are mates. I huff and make my way to go find him. I walk down to the kitchen hoping that maybe he is making me a birthday breakfast or something, but the only one here is Mrs. Brookes. She sees me peaking around the corner and yells, "Happy Birthday!" She is so excited, and normally I would be too, but I just want to find Drake. Her smile disappears when she sees how disappointed I am. "Why the sad face, sweetie? It is your birthday, you should not have a frown on that pretty face," she says pinching my cheek. I give a small smile to please her and she gives her cheeky one in return.

"I am sorry, Mrs. Brookes. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I just want to find Drake. I was hoping that maybe he would be waiting for me to find out about us being mates or not," I said looking down, making myself sad again.

Concern floods her face, "Oh Rae, I forgot about the mating process. I am so old, he is in his office, sweetie. He had some work come up early this morning, he wanted to get it done so he could spend the day with you." Before she can get out another word, I run making my way to his office.

I run back up the stairs and I stop at his office doors. I could hear his muffled voice, but no voice responding, he must be on the phone. He sounds angry and frustrated, I have never heard him like this. Then again, I never have really spent time with him in his office while he was dealing with pack business. I ignore my thoughts and knock on the door a little too quietly.

"What?!" he roars, making me flinch and take a step back in response. I did not say anything but hear footsteps head toward the door and he swings it open. I keep my eyes glued to my shoes, I did not want to lock eyes while he was mad. "Rae, oh my gosh. I am so sorry!" He says embracing me. He grabs my shocked face, "I did not expect you to be up for another few hours, baby." He does not even notice we are making eye contact... and nothing was happening.

Nothing.

It then hits him and the sadness on his face could make puppies cry, I sure am. "I-I don't understand, why aren't we mates? We love each other," I say, my voice breaking, a long with my shattered hear. I look back down, wishing I could take back ever knowing. I was so sure.

I glimpse up and Drake's expression takes me by surprise, he is pissed. "Why are you angry, Drake? Shouldn't you be upset?" I ask confused, trying to take his hand in mine, but he refuses.

"You are not my mate Raelyn!" He yells, using my full name. "I was told you would be mine!" I look at him wondering what he meant by that, he notices my confusion. "I mean, I was so sure you were going to be my second change mate. You made me feel something nobody else has, not even her." He looks sad for a split second, but then begins to growl and I involuntarily back up. "That means you are someone else's mate! You are not mine, Raelyn, and the second you mate shows up you won't be able to leave him because of your power... I mean bond. Damnit! You will leave me." I look at him astonished for saying, I mean yelling, what he just did. I would not be surprised if the whole pack heard.

I stand there, unsure and scared of what to do next. He walks past me and goes back into his office. I watch him as he sits down on his couch by the window, he puts his hands over his face. I cannot tell if he is angry, frustrated or sad.

I walk to him cautiously and kneel in front of him. I gently grab a hold of his hands, forcing them down so he could look at me. "Listen, Drake. I love you. Okay? Mate or not, that will never change. You saved me, I am not going to leave you; do you understand me? I am not going anywhere, our love and connection is much stronger than any mate bond." I place my lips on his and he begins kissing back, and I can breathe again. "I am yours Drake, forever and always. No mate will ever take me from you." I kiss him again on his forehead, and he gives a small smile. 

XOXOSECRETWRITER