[14]

|Float|

*1 year and a half before*

"Lydia?"I heard my moms soft voice call from behind the door. She opened the door slowly and poked her head through.

"Honey you don't have to come." She said to me. I stood tall as I fixed my jeans.

"I have time. I'm in between patients at the moment." I said giving a weak smile. She nodded as I took my white doctors coat with me as I put it on.

"Hey um...I couldn't find one of Leonora sweaters. Did you get it?" I asked

"Actually a lot of her stuff is missing." I added

"You're father thought it was best to take some of her clothes to the redistribution center." She answered

"Oh." I said looking down.

"She'll be fine." My mom said as she rubbed my arm.

"How can she be fine? She's going to die." I told her scrunching up my eyebrows together.

"I should be the one in her place. I was the one who allowed Scott to be in here in the first place. I should be the one being floated today."I told my mom

"It is not your fault what happened that day."

"Then I want to be flaoted alongside with her." I said stomping my foot

"Lydia!" My mother yelled finally having enough

"Get your ass to the floating dock." She said as she moved aside to let me pass through the door. I stomped out of my room and out of the house.

I walked through the hallways of the ark finally ending up at the floating dock. I saw Leonora standing there talking to dad. She was getting her handcuffs taken off.

I stood there for a couple of seconds taking her in. Her black curled hair moved at any slight movement. She was wearing one of my black jackets that I let her borrow the day she got arrested.

Her white T-shirt was clean and neatly pressed. Her black jeans were ironed and her black combat boots were polished shinning under the weak light of the ark.

"Hey." I finally decided to speak up as dad and Leonora stopped what they were talking about.

"I'll give you two some time." Dad said as he stepped away and walked towards Jaha.

"So...." She said

"Happy birthday" I said as she her smile faltered.

"Happy birthday." She said back as her voice cracked but still tried to keep a smile on her face.

"Um, I brought you something." I said as I reached into my back pocket.

"I'm getting floated." She said as I handed her the little package.

"Just shut up and take it." I said as she took the package. She unwrapped the small box and opened it.

"Its....creepy." She said finally as she looked at it for a while. It was a gold medallion with a skull that grandpa Gordon gave to me a while back. Gordon is my moms dad.

"Thank you." She said as she put the long gold chain around her neck as the gold medallion rested about five inches above her belly button.

"I have one too." I said as I took the chain from under my shirt.

"I also want to give you this." I added as I took another small pack from my other back pocket. I handed it to her again as she opened it and took out a bracelet.