[33]

|and so|

• and so I have stared in the face of death
its not that great •

"Wanheda?" I asked

"Quiet." He said as he began to take away my knives. He took my gun from my holster and took my bow and arrows away. The man walked around me so I could face him.

He was a big man. He had his face painted. His hair was shoulder length and parts of it were braided.

"Put your hands out." He said as I stared at him.

"I said put your hands out." He repeated and put the knife closely to my neck.

"You won't kill me." I said smiling with a raised eyebrow. He seemed taken aback that I wasn't shaking in fear.

"You're right. I won't kill you....yet." He said as I gave him a hard stare before I put my hands out. He put his knife away and began to tie my hands tightly together.

"Let's go " he said as he pushed me forward.

"Where are we going?" I asked

"Somewhere." He answered simply.

"Is somewhere far or near?" I asked

"I wonder if I can cut your tongue off." He said

"I wonder who wants me." I answered as he pushed me harshly. I stayed silent for a couple of minutes before I spoke again.

"My name is Lydia."

"Whoever wants you does not want Lydia...but wanheda." He answered.

"My name is Roan." He answered after another couple of minutes. I looked over my shoulder.

"Roan from the ice nation?" I asked as he seemed shocked that I knew.

"How do you know?" He asked

"Lexa told me about the ice nation." I answered before I turned back around.

We stayed silent for a long time only stopping for Roan to cover our tracks. 

"We sleep here for the night." He said as we went inside a dark cave. He didn't light a fire for fear that it would lead someone to the cave.

I sat down on the cold hard floor but Roan came over and gagged me so I wouldn't call for help.

I tried to stay awake as Roan paced. But it was hard. I had been up for roughly 24 hours now. And sleep overtook me.

"Get up." I heard a while later as I was pulled up to my feet. He started to walk even though I wasn't fully awake as I stumbled in the early morning light. The fog hung close to the ground as the cold air hit me.

I could see the bruising beneath the ropes on my wrists. It was a bit red and some dried blood.

We walked for hours not taking any break. The sun was high in the sky making it a bit past noon when we started to walk along the riverbank.

The uneven stones that moved with any movement. It made it difficult for me to walk especially having my hands tied.

The trees on the other side of the shallow river casted a long shadow over us as Roan walked ahead pulling me along.

Soon the rocks weren't moving as much. They had become more stable. I took this as my chance to act.

I fell to my knees and laid face down as if I had passed out as Roan pulled a bit on the rope as he groaned.

"I guess the great Wanheda isn't invincible." I heard him say as he dropped the rope and took out a pouch and walked closer towards the water.

I got up slowly as I pulled the rope closer to me as I stood up and walked towards him slowly as he was crouched down.