Chapter the Twenty- Fourthiaeth: The Power of Love

"Lady's maid," Rayan calmly spoke in a strictly professional, surgeon- like way, "do you, perhaps, know the difference between the aorta and the left pulmonary valve?"

The lady's maid snapped around, cracking her shinbone in the process. It had been glaring out the non-existent window at the blue-black light of the frightening dawn.

"Ehh," it rubbed its broken bone, shattering it until it was beyond repair. "I don't think there is one."

"Righty- o." saluted Rayan, muttering to himself how he'd have to attach the aorta, left pulmonary valve, and superior vena cava just in case. You can never be too careful when fixing a broken heart.

The lady's maid pranced over to Rayan, peering over his hands and gazing at his work. Currently, he was twisting a few veins back and forth absentmindedly, pondering on whether the blue colored thingamajig hanging 'round the left side of Rayma's heart would serve as a plier, or the right. Sighing, the lady's maid picked at its talons, bored.

"This is a rather boring process." said it.

Rayan grimaced as Rayma twitched in pain. The terror wrought on the victim's body when they had a broken heart typically knocked them clear out, unable to feel any pain due to surgery, but the jagged pieces of the heart were... well... ouchie.

Boredom faded to fury as Rayan failed to respond to the lady's maid's misery, and it narrowed its eyes. Knights these days!

"Can't you make this more interesting?" it snapped.

"Oooh, yes!" clapped the queen from her perch on the windowsill.

"Mess up the surgery! Mess up the surgery!" chanted the lady's maid, soon joined by the royal.

"No!" horrified, Rayan gasped.

"What?" The chanting ceased for a moment as their need for drama had been satisfied with his urgent tone.

"How could you even think about hurting this beautiful, beautiful woman?" he stroked her left pulmonary artery tenderly.

"Yeesh," yeeshed the lady's maid. "Get a room!"

The queen slapped the much older woman on the bottom with her crown.

"Now lady's maid," she scolded. "Let's be appropriate!"

Rayan snorted.

"Rayma can't hear yo-"

    "We don't want Rayma yeeshing when she wakes up," the queen interrupted, pausing to ponder on what she'd said for a moment. "Unless she dies. In that case, yeesh all ye want!"

   Rayan choked on a breath, his shaking fingers suddenly jerking out insanely at the phrase "unless she dies". Creeeeeak! Snaaaaaap! Craaaaack!

    "Oh my love!" cried Rayan.

     "What? What?" the lady and the it rushed to his side, not even starting as the knight uttered the words "my love". They'd seen his love miles away. (With super high-tech binoculars if you were wondering.)

     "When you said de-dea-ddddddeath," Rayan shuddered, placing his head softly on Rayma's dying (yet still quite attractive in his mind) hand, "I was so startled that my hand jerked out and... and... broke her left subclavian artery!"

    The two... creatures let out huge gafaws of horror.

     "I have no idear what he just said," whooped the lady's maid, "but boy did it sound melodramatic!"

     "Indeed," indeeded the queen. "It also hinted at some delicious... tragedy. Am I right?"

    "Ye-yes," sobbed Rayan miserably, his eyes welling with tears. "There is no one to blame but me."