Chapter 4

"Hey Cas," I say, sitting next to her on the common room couch later that day. "Hey Rem," She replies. "How were your classes?" I ask. Cassie shrugs. "You know, getting hated by Slytherins, Slytherins trying to hex me, and of course the boys flirting," She says, the last bit sarcastically. I nearly growl, remembering Liam Jordan flirting with her. "Sounds like you have a lot of admirers," I say with a wink. "Not really." Cassie laughs. "Liam Jordan flirted with me today, but I think he was just looking to snog me," She says. Then she continues. "There isn't anything for them to admire anyway. I'm just ordinary. Probably not even ordinary," She finishes.
    I look Cassie in her beautiful blue eyes. "You are so much more than ordinary," I say. She smiles again. "Thanks Remus. What would I do without you and Molly?" She asks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
    The following afternoon, Cassie runs through the portrait hole sobbing. She launches herself onto the couch and buries her face onto the cushion. "Cas?" I ask gently, laying a hand on her shoulder. She shakes off my shoulder and cries harder into the couch. "Cassie?" I ask, once again laying my hand on her shoulder. She doesn't reply, but she didn't shake me off.
    Cassie cries harder and harder, and after a moment, I wrap my arms around her and pull her up. She immediately buries her face in my shoulder, her sobs seeming louder. "Shh. It's okay Cassie," I say. Cassie shakes as sobs rack her body. After about half an hour, she sits up, no longer sobbing, but still crying. "Do you want to tell me what's wrong?" I ask. Cassie nods. In a shaky voice, she says, "I was putting a book away in the back of the library w-when Slytherins cornered me. They were mocking me for my blood status, and for my looks, and telling me I was stupid. It wasn't so bad at first, but then they told me that I should drop dead, and maybe cutting myself would take away the pain of how terrible I am," She says. Then she takes a deep breath, and continues. "And that seventh year, Bellatrix, p-pulled out her wand a-and she-" Cassie burst into a fresh wave of tears, resting her forehead on my shoulder. "She what?" I growl. Slowly, Cassie pulls up her sleeve to show me three cuts on her upper arm. "M-Madam Pomfrey tried to heal them, but she could only get them t-to stop bleeding." Cassie finishes.
    Before I can stop it, a growl escapes me. I blush profusely, and Cassie looks up at me knowingly. "I know you're a werewolf Remus. I figured it out a while ago," She says. I look at her, shocked. "You don't care?" I ask. And then laughter is bubbling from her beautiful lips. "Can you keep a secret?" Cassie asks. I nod. "I promise," I say. "My dad is a werewolf. I have...... Some characteristics." Cassie says. My jaw drops in shock. "You're joking," I say. She shakes her head. "Unfortunately no. My eyes glow when I have strong emotions, I can smell and hear above average, and every full moon..." Cassie shudders. "I feel like begging for death. It's awful, how sick I get. And I stay like that for days usually," She says. I keep my arms wrapped around her. "We have each other now," I say. Cassie nods. "That we do."