Chapter 15

It's late at night, and almost everyone has already gone to bed. Just a few people remain. I know it's time. I've been waiting seventeen years and I can't wait anymore.
    "Who is he?" I ask my mum quietly. She takes a deep breath and looks into my eyes. "Please don't make a scene darling," she tells me. I nod in agreement. Mum pauses, as if she doesn't know how to tell me.
    "It's Remus," she whispers. I say nothing. What is there to say? Remus Lupin, the man I've been seeing everyday since the order was reformed? Who taught at Hogwarts my fourth year? A single tear makes its way down my cheek, falling onto the floor.
    "You were right," I whisper. "He never wanted me or he would've said something." I glance at where Remus and Tonks are sitting, talking. He looks over, and I know he can tell that I know. Years. I've known him for years and he's said nothing. He's a coward.
    I get up and run in the direction of my room. Charlie walks through the door as I'm about to run upstairs. "V?" He asks. "Go away," I sob. Instead, I hear his footsteps come closer.
    Charlie and I were always pretty close, because we grew up together. He isn't that much older than me. I was devastated when he said he was going to Romania to study dragons.
    Charlie lays a hand on my shoulder, and without asking what's wrong, pulls me into his chest, where I sob and cry angrily and distraught. "Remus is my father and he doesn't want me!" I choke out. Charlie strokes my hair comfortingly.
    "It's okay V. He's the one missing out," Charlie whispers. It's just my luck that Remus comes around the corner at that point. He looks startled at the scene, but Charlie just nudges me up the stairs. "Come on V. Let's go upstairs," he says calmly. 
    When we get to my room, a whole new round of sobbing begins.  "I'm not even a werewolf like they thought I'd be," I whisper. "I know. It's okay," Charlie responds. "I want to talk to him but I'm afraid," I tell Charlie. He shrugs. "Wait for him to talk to you. He will eventually," Charlie advises, wiping the tears from my face.
    "So how are the dragons?" I ask, laying down. Charlie lays next to me. "They're amazing. It's all so fascinating. I wish you could see them," he tells me. Then a mischievous smile crosses his face. 
    "Actually you can," Charlie says, picking up a piece of paper and writing a note in case anybody comes to check on me. I notice how pretty Charlie's handwriting is. He writes in cursive, and I wish I could write that neat.
    After putting on a pair of shoes, Charlie throws me a jacket. "What're you doing?" I ask. In response, Charlie leads me outside sneakily. We almost get caught by Tonks, but Charlie pulls me behind something.
     "Where are we going?" I ask. He grins. "To see the dragons. I'm going to apperate okay?" He asks. Ugh I hate apperation. "Okay," I reply. Immediately, I feel sick. When we land, I stumble a bit and lay my head on Charlie's shoulder. I moan loudly and he laughs.
    "So we're in Romania?" I ask. Charlie nods. "Yup. This is where I work," he says. He points to a small building close to us. "That's where I stay," he says. "You get your own place?" I ask. He nods.
    "The dragons are this way," he tells me, taking my hand and pulling me along. We reach the dragons, and I'm awestruck. There are so many dragons of so many different breeds. "Where's Norbert?" I ask, laughing. Charlie chuckles and pulls me up to a platform above all the dragons.
    "There," he says, pointing at a green dragon. "He's gotten a lot bigger," I point out. "It's been five years. Of course he has," Charlie says. He goes on to explain what the dragons eat and their habits and it's just the thing I needed tonight.
    "Let's talk about your parents," Charlie says finally. I shake my head. "I don't know what to think," I tell him. "I mean he obviously doesn't want me. He hates me so much that he left Mum while they were engaged," I say. "I tore it all apart," I whisper. Charlie shakes his head. "No you didn't V. You've made your mum so happy," he says. "My blood is werewolf blood," I say.
    "You're not a werewolf though V. You're a miracle," Charlie tells me. "A miracle would've been if my parents stayed together," I say quietly, turning so Charlie can't see the tears in my eyes. "Love isn't real," I spit out spitefully. Charlie spins me so I'm facing him. "It is real," he whispers. "Well I don't believe in it," I say, looking into his blue eyes. His face comes really close to mine, and I can feel his breath on my face as he says the next words. "I do."
Then he backs away and I feel more confused than ever. I mean there's no way Charlie likes me. Right? I mean he's older and I'm still in Hogwarts and my family life is all kinds of screwed up. I don't want a relationship. Ever. I don't believe that love exists. If it did, surely Remus would love me, right?
Charlie apperates us back to headquarters. We go up to my room, and the note has not been disturbed. "Why do you get your own room?" Charlie asks. I shrug. "Just because. Why don't you cut your hair?" I ask, running my fingers through his red hair. He smiles. "I like it that way," he shrugs.
"Why? Does it look bad?" He asks. I shake my head. "It looks good Charlie," I say. He whips his hair. "I know," he says jokingly. I laugh and sit down on my bed. "I'll see you tomorrow V," he says. "When are you leaving?" I ask him. "Tomorrow night," is is reply. I sigh sadly. "You never stay long anymore!" I exclaim. He sighs.
"I can't V. I'm sorry," he says. I shrug, acting like it's nothing. "It's fine. I get it," I smile. He smiles back as he speaks next. "You should come and stay with me," he says. I can't help but laugh. "Char I know we're best friends but I don't think Mum would go for that," I say. He looks at me as if trying to figure something out.
"Three days at the end of summer. Leave it to me," he says finally. I shrug. "Good luck," I reply.
He does it. Charlie actually convinces my mum to let me stay. How he does it, I have no idea. Of course it leads to a very detailed talk which I just wish I could forget. Finally though, my bags are packed and Charlie is coming to get me the next evening.
That night, I'm too excited to sleep, so I go down to the kitchen to get a snack. Unfortunately however, Remus is there working on something. I just ignore him and head for the cabinet to get some cookies that Molly made earlier. "Genevieve can I talk to you?" Remus asks. "I don't think we have anything to talk about," I say to him.
"I think we do," Remus replies. I spin around with a glare on my face. "Like what? The fact that you didn't want me because I was supposed to be like you? Did you think raising a werewolf baby would be too hard? Or were you just afraid? I personally believe that you were a coward," I say. Remus says nothing as I head upstairs, eating cookies as I go.