The fire

I tell John that we need to leave. "We need to speak with Valentine." John nods and we walk out of the hospital. I get in John's car and John drives us to the station. I walk in and hurry to the interrogation room. I try to open the door. It's locked. "Damn it!" I shout. I pound on the door and nothing happened. I go to the other room and watch the interrogation.
    "Why did you kill her?" I hear Simon ask. "Why did you need to attempt to kill Holmes? Why is he important? Why does every murderer in this town try to kill Holmes?"
Valentine answered with a smile. "I tried to kill him because he let my brother burn in a fire. I remember the day to. He was shouting my name as he burnt." As Valentine said that, I remembered the day he was talking about.
    "His name was Patrick. Valentine and Patrick's building was on fire. A piece of wall fell on him," I put my face in my hands, "I didn't go in the building to save anyone because my equipment wasn't working properly. Then the wall fell. Landed on his back. I couldn't do anything to save him." In the other room was telling Simon almost the same story. Except he made it sound like I purposely didn't save. That I didn't even try. Simon walks out of the room. Then, I walk in.
    "I'm sorry about your brother, I did try to save him," I paused, "but, I couldn't. My oxygen tank wasn't working properly. If I went into the building I would've died and so would you brother. Either way he would've died." Valentine started to cry. "No," he said, "you could've saved him. Even if you had to die, you could've saved him."

    I shake my head in disagreement. "I would've died before I made to your brother! Can't you understand that?" I was getting slightly annoyed by the fact he doesn't understand. I continued "If I sent my men up there to save him more, people would've been crushed by the building and die. Not just your brother." Valentine was looking down. Probably so I couldn't see him crying. Didn't really work though, if that is what his plan was.  "I'm sorry Edward," he said, "I'm sorry I didn't realized more people would've died if they were to save Patrick" He wipes the tears out of his eyes. I grab a box of tissues behind me and give it to Valentine.

    "I forgive you Valentine. But that won't keep you out of prison." I get up and walk behind him. Get close enough to his ear so I can whisper quietly, "Why'd you shoot my mother Val." I was looking in the glass in front of me, looking at the reflection. His face was filled with shock.