Chapter 17

My mother skills kicked in and I was jolting down the hallway before Nicolo reached the top of the stairs. My eyes met his and I felt my heart drop at the possibilities of that scream. When I slammed her door open I felt my throat clog at the sight in front of me. I had never imagined a gun pointed to her temple ever in my life. So as I stood there hesitant to take another step I stared the man down who held cam by the jaw with a gun pressed to her temple.

She, of course did not understand what was going on as tears streamed down her face.
"Please don't hurt her" it was a small plead but it was all I could squeeze out at a time like this. Nicolo was behind me I knew it because of the warmth that he provided whenever he was next to me.
"Tell her tell her what I want" he tugged at cams hair causing her to scream and for my hands to shoot forward as though I could stop him.
"He's cwazy mwommy he" sniff "waants to twake you away" I didn't understand, I thought this wasn't about me? I am confused beyond belief as I feel the hot tears boil in my eyes.

"You work for Ereteo do you not?" The man nodded at Nicolo's question while my eyes never left my sweet babies face. I hadn't even noticed how much I need her. I need her  more then she needs me. I decided to let Nicolo take the step forward as he put his hands up in surrender, a dangerous look in his eyes.
"Put the gun down and we can talk about this" the man disobeyed and instead clicked off the safety on the gun. My instincts kicked in at that point and I jumped forward.

"Oh god please don't shoot I'll come I'll come don't shoot!" The mans eyes glimmered with a sick look of happiness. Nicolo's head snapped to me at my statement but I didn't look at him I just looked ahead.
"Alright" the man said agreeing to my terms. I moved forward as he let cam go. She shuffled over to me and hugged my leg crying even louder then before.

"It's okay baby it's okay" I whispered unsure of who I was speaking too as I held my baby. I knew what came next and I didn't want to look. I closed my eyes as Nicolo shot forward disarming the man. I couldn't see but I could hear the sickening crack of the mans neck. I didn't want to look and I didn't want cam to see so I scooped her up in my arms and walked slowly out of the room. My whole body was numb as I rocked her to a line of calm in my arms. I didn't let her go even when she had fallen asleep.

Nicolo payed some men to take the body away and to "take care of it". I wasn't sure what to do as he closed the door behind him. I am being an idiot I know I am as I rock my baby continuously in my arms. My head is swirling and I know I won't be able to stop as my hands shake uncontrollably. Hands reached for mine and peeled my baby away from me. I couldn't move, my arms stayed outstretched.

I hadn't even noticed the big arms that engulfed me in a secure embrace. It was calming in a way as he rocked me a bit. It was all too much my hands couldn't stop shaking and my heart was beating faster then sonic can run. That's when I mulled it over. He hadn't been here for cam he had been here for me and he had used her to get to me.

I pulled away from him sharply, and created space between us where I could think clearly.  
"You lied"
"What?"
"You lied" I mumbled again.

"Valentina Mia Bella speak up please" at that point I lost it as I grabbed the nearest thing to me and chucked it at him. He dodged it quickly letting the vase hit the wall. The next thing I grabbed was a phone. The house phone unplugged from the wall as I chuck it at him. He dodged this one as well watching it fly pass his head.

"Will you please be decent of my mother's things!" He screamed out as I held the lamp up. I looked around me at the shattered belongings. I lowered the lamp slowly as I had just realized what I was doing.
"Alright. Sorry" that's all I could manage to say as I breathed heavily. His stare was intense as his eyes met mine. Something strong was stirring as he moved closer to me. I couldn't breathe at the intensity of our heated stare.