Chapter 23

The blood lay all over me, on my hair, dress, eyes, nose, chin, hands and chest. Not much could be comprehended since the people moved quicker than lightning. I couldn't make out the words they yelled to me or the things they said. All I could focus on was Nicolo. What if I lose him? What if he doesn't make it? These questions are the ones of a loved one. Could I live without him. Without his possessive and angry nature, without his charm and without his eyes? Everything began to fall apart today and nothing could be glued together.

The siren shrilled and screamed loudly and I sit there in the vehicle as the EMTs yell to each other in Doctor words. It's complicated to focus and my heart hammers heavily. Was it love? How could it be that in such a short time, okay not that short, I had fallen in love. But another nagging voice refused it and now I shook at a crossroad. His eyes started to close and the shots looked worse by the minute. They had ripped his shirt open and I swallowed the bile that arose in my throat.

He had to make it...he just had too. He was Nicolo the invincible, he could never die. Not to me. We reached the hospital in what seemed like forever and the EMTs wheeled him in faster then you can say....banana. I run inside along with them and the heel of my right foot cracks underneath my weight. I scowl and kick the shoes to the ground as I run to where they push his body past double doors. A nurse with red hair and olive skin stops me in my wake and speaks soft words.

Next thing I know I'm transferred to a special ICU waiting room where the pretty looking nurse hands me a wash cloth and some wipes. I just stare at the white cloth, unmoving and stiff. Nothing could take me out of this stance and the shock began to be too much to bear. I guess the nurses noticed when I began to panic helplessly, yelling rude profanities and trying to pass the double doors where the surgery lay ahead.

Three male doctors appear out through the door and grab my screaming legs. Another female doctor grabs a needle towards one of the male doctors right table. They hold on to me as I fight drastically. But I don't give up as I kick and scream and whale out for help.

I guess the needle wasn't just for show as I feel a pinch in my side and everything becomes blurry. My limbs fail to cooperate and I fall to the floor as everything zooms out of view. I fight to keep my eyes open but my eyeballs roll back forcing them to close.

And of course as expected darkness.

**********************************

"It's been three days since you've sedated her and she is still asleep! Who the fuck do you think you are?!"
Who
3 days
Sedated
Her..

Voices ring in my head as I come back to conscience.
"We may have overdosed her but she should come around.." A crashing noise interrupts the sugar coated voice of a woman. I try to move my hand but find it limp and unresponsive. My fingers refuse to wiggle and panic arrives when I cannot open my eyes. All I could tell was I am in a room on a soft object, passed out.

"GET ME A PHONE GODDAMMIT!"
Nicolo! Frustration overtakes me as I try and open my eyes but find no sight. I push and push to move but all I get is a small wiggle of my fingers. More yelling arrives as ,ore footsteps overtakes my mind.

"Son calm down" I can not place this voice if it is woman or man. I wiggle my fingertips more till my hand wiggles than my arm and find my toes moving just the slightest. My eyes stay peeled shut as I try to pull them open.

"I WILL NOT CALM DO-..." I shot up fast and deliberate before groaning in pain. I lay back down quickly and touch my palm to my forehead.
"She's awake" a woman in white reaches me on minutes and helps me to sit up. She takes out a miniature flashlight and zooms it across my eyes.

"Would you stop waving that thing woman!" My irrational snap makes her jump as I grab the flashlight and throw it across the room. My mouth feels dry and sandy so I grab the nearest bowl of water and chug it down. It didn't even look like drinking water.

"Miss Ray if you would just sit down so I may finish the examination" the woman spoke again and I now felt like a teenager on her period with a huge zit right before prom. I take everything in from the male doctor and woman doctor to Nicolo in a hospital gown with his mother holding his arm.

"Well hello!" My voice came out weird and squeaky and my head begins to feel fuzzy.
"What's wrong with her?!" Nicolo asks his face contorting angrily. The doctor shakes his head and looks towards the bowl on the floor.

"She drank the alcohol disinfectant" I giggle hysterically. What was he saying again?
"ROSSSSSEEEEEEE I hate heels! I shall never wear them again!" My voice raises ten octaves during this exclamation. I don't understand this happy unusual feeling. But I just roll with it.

"Yooooooooo! Nick! Supp dude! Hey I thought you died! Sad face!" I put on a pout and stomp my feet before gliding on the hospital sockies over to the woman doctor.
"But he's not dead! Happppppyyy face!" My scream echoes and I laugh once again before sock skating across the room.

I twirl and then realize I am no longer in my dress but in a hospital gown.
"Is my butt exposed??" I ask quickly before bending over revealing my nice black underwear to the crowd. Rose screeches before escorting everyone out of the room.
"I'll let you handle this" she tells her son before leaving us. Alone.

I walk over to Nicolo and wiggle my eyebrows up and down before putting on a cat like voice, "alone at last".
He scowls and pushes me away from him making me scowl now we are just a bunch of scowling people. I jump forward and exclaim in happiness before jumping on the hospital bed. It creaks heavily under my weight and Nicolo stops me before it can collapse.

"I love hospitals noooo I hate them so much death it's bleh" I stick my tongue out and move to jump again before a sudden pain hits my head.

Everything goes blank and all I remember is my black underwear.