Chapter 21

The scream was shrill and disturbing as the gun shots ceased. I followed Tom as we cascaded quickly down the staircase. Everyone seemed alarmed and standing. Rose held cam and I greeted her with a smile but she looked to worried to notice as she stared at the room tom had just entered.

I didn't give any thought to it as I walked inside the room quickly to find Nicolo's gun pointed at parkers head with whom is being sedated by the doctor. Tom stands shell shocked as he saw the unimaginable. I was shocked too, Parker was the only one Nicolo acted like himself with. He told Parker everything and the two seemed closer then brothers but now they stared at each other with pain and hatred in their eyes.

"Put the gun down Nicolo Damn it! Put the gun down" Tom bellowed with insanity as he feared that his two best friends were losing it. This angered Nicolo as he clicked off the safety. Parker laughed in a weird slow way as his eyes came to a close. He was drugged and on his knees it was obvious it wasn't a fair fight and Nic didn't look to be giving it up anytime soon.

So being the idiot I am, I jumped in between death and well a doped up man. Nicolo's expression altered as he stared at me coldly, I didn't need to hear him say move because I knew that was what he was hunching towards.

"No" my voice came out low and sickly but loud enough for everyone to hear. At the moment o feared for my own life more then parkers. What was I thinking? Lunatics do this in movies and it either goes one way or the other. And I was hoping the latter would magically happen.

"Valentina! Move!"
I shook my head as the gun faced me. I swear I was going cross side at the moment and it wasn't helping the situation.

"You won't shoot me and you can't shoot him!" Tom signaled for me to cut it out from across the room. He jumped up and down and made weird pleading noises that scared me a bit. At one point he went on his knees and pleaded me as though he was praising God, I tried to ignore him but couldn't as I finally regained focus on Nicolo.

"Move!"
"No! I won't! Not now and not ever! Every life is sacred and there is no one in this entire world that doesn't deserve an explanation and a fair trial and Tom dammit cut it out!" Nicolo seemed struck by what I had said and he knew my stubborn side had come to play. I was not moving and this was the resolution. So he dropped his arm to his side and moved towards the door. I was already one step ahead as I followed him all the way to his office. He ignored me as I called out his name.

"Nicolo!!" I had slid just in time as the door was about to shut and lock. He slammed his gun down on the table and sighed heavily. There was no way around what happened and he knew so but I didn't push the subject as he used his elbows as support on the desk and dropped his face in his hands.

I didn't question as I watched him silently. He was in pain I knew this and it was obvious he needed to change. He was bloody and angry and those two never went well together. I moved towards him and sat on the desk next to where his elbows stained the mahogany. I decided if he wasn't going to talk than I might as well.

"When I was little, around maybe 6 I believed in unicorns, love, princes and fairies. I had no care in the world and the worst thing that happened to me was a scrape to the knee or a broken bone. At 13 I obsessed over being the best and the most praised in the family. With all the siblings and cousins it was a lot of competing, at 16 I read so many books and got straight As never cared for boys or kisses. I loved mark Twain, John Steinbeck and Harper Lee. By 18 I was convinced I was a vampire! Loved loved loved Edward Cullen and even loved Cederic Diggory. At 20 I believed studying and art came hand in hand and I was prepared to be the new Picasso, although my parents disapproved and thought the best thing for me was, of course the usual. Doctor, lawyer, and well scientist. But now here I am at 22, I have a kid, I don't feel the need to be a fairy and fly and I don't believe Snow White had this much excitement throughout her lifetime. But I still believe in family, love and well of course that I'm a vampire" I chuckled at myself and he stared at me with a raised brow.

"Who is Edward Cullen?" I grew shocked and stared wide eyed at him.
"Only the most gorgeous man alive! Well anyways not the point... Even though you should know who he is..whatever. I mean you should keep your friends close and your love ones close too because are time is limited and everyone has faults. Scars don't heal if the cut is never received. Forgive and never forget. Because we take for granted those we need and we expect perfection but there is no such thing."

"Valentina..." I stopped him from speaking with one finger. I had more and he was going to listen even if it took all day.
"Love is rare and fetal but if your kind and nurse what can be lost but isn't, then time can heal and the sun can provide. Don't rush into accusations and don't dawn on the past. I know I sound exactly cheesy but roll with me here.. You can spend more time with cam and take her places as long as you promise me something..something important." He nodded and beckoned for me to continue.

"When it's time to let us go...let us go..or in more detail let her go. I-" I was shocked by the quick movements as I caught myself. My hands outstretched on the chair and my knees inbeded in the corners of the plushy softness . His face lay so close and I shook in structure. He stared deeply into my eyes as his hands clenched my thighs.

"No..I won't let her go...and I will most definitely not let you go" my heart swelled and my nervous state changed. I sat down more easily on him and stared silently.
"Why?" Was all I could ask at the moment and I didn't know why it was so hard for me to speak.
"Valentina Ray...when I was 7 my life ambition was to be a ninja and when I was 12 my wish was a guarantee. My father decided to train me hard and early so I would be ready for my future position. At age 16 I had killed more then twenty men and women and had no consolation to what I'd done. My father was heartless and cruel and I was forced to read every book in the library. At 17 my mother remarried when my father died of a sudden heart attack and left his estate to his best friend. Who married my mother. At 19 I was pronounced the new don. Parker and I took over and Tom was also very close to us. We were worse than the three musketeers. At age 24 I fucked a girl and had a baby. Now I am 26 and have no clue how I got here in such a position. With an extremely annoying, stubborn, too outgoing and down right confident young woman..who did I mention is a right pain in the ass"

"Yes yes you did actually I think you pretty much summed it up" I frowned but he continued.
"My best friend betrayed me, my daughter is here and loves me and my birthday is January 23rd. And I was just poetically spoken too. Now all I can do is find ways to remind myself who I am and what I do. Because Valentina there can not be a space for you and cam in my life and no I cannot own a house on a farm and live happily ever after. Because I know 9 languages, have no conscience and constantly lose my temper. Love is no option. Love was no option.. But tell me how come I can not bare to let you go. Tell me." He pleaded but I was temporarily frozen. I couldn't breathe and my heart quickened in pace.

" non sai quello che provo per te ?" I stared at him with an empty expression. What had he said and why was he saying these things? He couldn't possibly love me! It wasn't probable. But what he said next pretty much clarified it.

"I'm in love with you Mia Bella...so tell me how will I let you go?"