Chapter Five: Impatient

It’s Saturday morning, and I’m in the girl’s bathroom at the school scrubbing the sink while being monitored by the security guard. I felt like I was in jail and it did not feel good. I had to empty out the trash cans, wipe down the cafeteria tables and sweep the floors. I finished three hours before my scheduled time and after that I was free to go. Later in the day I heard the bell rang out and my mom yelled my name to go answer the door. As I opened the door my grandfather was standing in front of me. I was surprised to see him so I ran to give him a hug and a kiss on the check, while Taylor came from the other room and ran to Granddad. In my house we call him Pops; it was a nickname I came up with when I was five years old.

          I took Pops into the living room and sat him down as he waited for my mom and Jim. My mom invited Pops because she said that there was a surprise that she needed to announce to the family. She told me and Taylor to go upstairs and get dressed because we were going out to eat. Knowing my mother, surprises were not good, and with the week I had, the last thing I needed was more from her. I went into my room and throw on a short black strapless dress and flats and wore my washed out jean jacket. I combed my hair and tighten it in a ponytail, and walked down stairs.

                When we arrived at the restaurant, it was a super Chinese buffet. The inside was beautiful; it was red and gold and had amazing cultural designs. The waitress showed us to our table and we were able to serve ourselves with anything we wanted. I picked out the pork fried rice with veggies, and crab ragoons. As I ate it, it was like falling in love for the first time. I stood up and decided to grab more but as I stood up my mother told me to sit because she wanted to make her announcement. The first thing I assumed was she’s pregnant. It made sense, Pops was here, the family was out to a restaurant and it was the perfect news. She said, “There are two announcement, first of all Taylor you’re going to be a big brother because were having a baby”. I was excited for my mom; I was hoping that she was having a girl. It would be nice to have a sister. Then she continued to speak, “I am not sure rather or not where having a boy or a girl yet but we wanted the sex of the baby to be a surprise.” Me finding out my mom is Prego was already a surprise to me. I wished her good will “Congratulations mom.” I said to her.

                Just when I thought the news was over, Jim also had something to say. “About four months ago I applied for a job as an administrative director at Oakland Academy and it’s an elite private school for kids’ grades five to twelve and it’s located in Toronto. I got the phone call last night and I was told that I would get the job.” My mom was congratulating him, but all I said to him was “cool Jim, I guess that means you’re going to be living there.” I was crossing my hands under the table hoping he would give me a definite answer.

                That is when he continued to speak, “Jayden…were all moving to Toronto” My eyes widen up in surprise, I stood up and felt myself becoming more angry. He kept telling me to calm down, but I was in no mood to so I spoke out, “What the hell do you mean where moving!” I felt the stares piercing on my back from the other people in the restaurant. With how I was feeling what other people thought of me was not important. My mom signaled me to sit down but I continued to speak. “You’re already screwed up my life and now you want to tell me something stupid like we are moving…to Canada out of all places! And you’re trying to ship me off to boarding school? You’re sick!” My mom got embarrassed and fed up with how I was speaking to him and Jim just looked upset. My mom stood up and asked me to speak to her outside. I told her I would take a “rain check” but she insisted forcefully.

                When we stood outside my mom held me against the wall, and started looking at me in the eyes and then began speaking to me, “I want to know what the hell goes on in your head, because clearly we need to evaluate it, ever since I started dating Jim your attitude has been completely ugly, I never felt so disgusted and disappointed in you, what you said in there was horrible.” My mother was completely oblivious that she was not aware that I was hurting from her divorce and remarriage.

                I expressed myself to her and said, “I’m done I’m tired of being looked down in this so called family, I’m done having to call out your name just so you can hear my voice, I’m done with how my dreams are pushed aside because you have to make room for Jim’s, I felt myself crying, I’m done with trying to explain to you that I want my dad not Jim and I’m done with being your daughter…get out of my way.” I pushed her off me and stormed out of the restaurant. My mom just stood there and watched me leave.

                I took the Taxi cab to Amilee’s house, voice kept replaying in my head with how I spoke to her. I never asked for your help…help…help… Amilee has been shunning me for the past week; I wasn’t sure how to talk to her or what she would say to me. All I knew was I needed my best friend and at this point of my life, I was alone. The taxi driver stopped in front of her house and I gave him ten dollars. I walked up her step and hesitated to ring the bell. I took a deep breath and rang the bell. The door opened and it was her mom she told me to come inside and I sat there.

                She called Amilee to come down stairs and I saw her. She walked slowly into the living room. “Hey” I said to her. She just stared at me for a second waiting for me to say something else. Then she spoke, “You look nice…I haven’t seen you wear a dress since our first grade concert were you trying to impress me or something.” I smiled a little. I told her, “Believe me if I wanted to impress you I don’t think I’ll be wearing this”. She asked me a question, “So seriously why are you wearing a dress.” I told her, “dinner with my family but that’s not the point I came here because I wanted to tell you how much I’m sorry about how I spoke you I know you were trying to help and I should have never blamed my hardships on you I knew you were trying to help.” She told me, “Girl I been forgiving you I just got seriously hurt when you spoke to me like that then again if it were me in your shoes I would be doing  the same thang.”

                “So… I said, are we cool…?” Amilee said to me, “yeah were cool… so I heard were kicked out of the Emerald’s and that you got in house.” I said,” yeah I did, it was not good at all…did that bleach blonde bitch tell you.” She said, “No actually people took pictures while you were in the library.” She showed me the pictures. I said “well I guess it’s a good thing I’m leaving the country.” Amilee was confused and said “what are you talking about…leaving the country?” I might as well tell her. “I’m moving to Canada because Jim got a job offer as a principal at this stupid boarding school and I have no choice but to move there.” Amilee was surprised, “Wow…so when are you moving?” I told her, “I don’t know… I can’t imagine living somewhere else than Chicago. She went over and gave me a hug. She told me, “I’m going to miss you.” I looked at her and said, “now don’t get all lovey dovey on me seriously, we have skype, internet, texting, it’s 2011 we’ll keep in touch.”

                We both went into the fridge to get ice-cream and watch paranormal activity 2. Amilee lend me a T-shirt and sweats to wear. I decided that I was going to sleep over. I couldn’t be around my family any longer. I figured I stay at my best friend’s house until this I was relaxed enough to come home. It was the middle of the night. Amilee and I crashed on the living room couch and my phone kept ringing constantly. It was my mother I answered the phone, “what...” She asked me where I was. I told her, “I’m at Amilee’s, I’m sleeping over, but I’ll come over tomorrow morning, right now I just can’t deal with you.” I hung up the phone and went back to sleep.