Chapter six: transition

It’s eight o’clock in the morning and I’m still half asleep. I heard both Amilee’s mom and my mom talking. At first I thought I was dreaming but when I opened my eyes, it became real. My mom walked over and tapped me on the shoulder to wake me up. I walked out the door wearing Amilee’s clothes and followed my mom into the car. Amilee’s mom waves at us as we drive away. Later at home my mom spoke to me. We were both sitting across from each other in the kitchen “Honey, I know you’re going through a lot and I apologize for ever making you feel resentment towards me, but please understand that this move is not a bad thing it’s good for everyone, we can use this as an opportunity to be close as a family.

                 I asked her, “When are we leaving?” She told me, “This Thursday, I know your life is here but it will be good I promise you”. I refused to believe her because every time she told me the same thing she does something different her actions spoke louder than her words. I went into my room and began packing my clothes; I took down all my posters, dance trophies, and everything that was there. I got tired and laid in my bed as I enjoyed the last week I had in Chicago.

                Days have passed and it’s Wednesday. I cleaned out my locker and said my goodbyes to all my friends. They all gave me hugs and told me how they were going to miss me. I handed a grocery bag to Amilee filled with the sweats she lend me. Just then Nicki walked by me throwing insults my way as normally. “Now she’s fleeing the country I knew this girl didn’t have what it took be an emerald.” Amilee told me to calm down but I had to put my foot down and stand up to her. I slammed the locker behind her and dropped my things I called her name, “Nicki!” I walked in front of her. “She turned around and said “what?” I told her, “ Stop! Okay stop talking to me like that stop talking to everyone like that okay, for years you have tried to make my life hell, what…do you miss sleep over not being a bitch, just because you’re an emerald doesn’t make you better than me or anyone else here. I’m a freshman but I managed to get on the junior and senior team while you struggled for what three years before you got a spot? You’re a very insure girl that clearly needs help.” There were kids in the hallways that were instigating and cheering for me. “Whatever, Whatever” she sticked the middle finger at me and everyone else.” I turned around and said, “oh and FYI honey that make-up doesn’t help your Skin cancer and hair situation.” She walked towards me and said, let’s get one thing straight here you were just nominated and you even got that revoked, you were never an Emerald so stop trying to be so proud of something you never accomplished you can’t be on because you don’t think like an Emerald. Her friend jumped in and said to me, “someone needs to put you in your place you little shit.” And I laughed, “And you’re going to do that…? She said, “yep…sure am and she slaps me on the face. Amilee holds me back and tells me they’re not worth it. She reminded me that I got suspended and she didn’t want me to risk anything else, but I was moving and it didn’t matter. Amilee said, “what Nicki you really need someone to fight your battles. You know what I’m not trying to get suspended for a bunch of freshman’s. Good luck in Canada.” She and her friends stormed down the hall. My friends were all cheering and wishing me luck. I picked up my stuff from the floor and continued to keep walking.

          Amelle and I both walked home from school and he said , “ can’t believe you stood up to Nicki Reed how do you feel?” And I told her, “ I feel confident, her dumb friend can’t even slap hard I mean she needed help to fight freshman that is just weak, I can’t believe I kissed her ass just so I can get on the spot.                                                                                                                                                          It was Thursday afternoon and the moving truck was parked in front of my house and my mom and Jim were both loading the boxes while Taylor was inside the car. Amilee looked at me and said, “So this is it… where just saying goodbye just like that?” I told her, “this isn’t good bye, this is seeing you later”. We both hugged and my mom was telling me to get in the car because we were leaving. I cross my arms and placed it on my chest while she did the same thing and I got in the car. We drove away and she waved to me.