Chapter 18: Mother

Jade
I'm woken up to Tori jumping on top of me and I instantly pull her into a hug.
"Baby let go we have to get a move on,"she says slipping off me. We get dressed and head out the door and I stop causing  Tori to smack into me. My mother is standing infront of me hand up as if she was about to knock.
"Jade,"she says with a sicking fake smile.
"Mom,"I say as Tori comes out from behind me.
"Hello Mrs. West,"she says with a beautiful smile,"I'm Tori jades girlfriend," my mothers face never changed.
"I see well I just got into town and your father said I could stay at the house so we could spend time together," she says.
"Of course he would,"I say moving around her,"that's fine do whatever mom I have school,"
I grab Tori's hand and pull her to my car.
"Nice to meet you,"Tori calls out as I shove her in the car. My mother waves before disappearing into the house. I peel out of the driveway and Tori  holds the door for dear life and I slow down.
"Sorry Tor,"I say looking over to her.
"It's okay babe,"she says taking my hand,"this week is going to be hard, but remember I'm here,"
I smile slightly, I'm starting to figure it out. We get to school and as soon as we get there Cat attacks us.
"Max is in the janitor closet crying,"she says pulling us there.
"Did she say what was wrong?"I ask as I get ready to open the door.
"Well,no,"Cat says looking nervous.
"Kitten does she know you've seen her crying?"I say and Tori shakes her already knowing.
"Ummmm she could know I just haven't talked to her to find out,"she says pulling at her shirt.
"Cat we can't just go barging in there on her,"Tori says taking one of cats hands.
"But if it was one of us we would,"Cat says and I nod before opening the door. Tori tried to pull me back but I grab her and pull her inside instead.
"Come on Tor we have plenty of time to make out before class..."I say before looking over at Max who's sitting on a bucket with shock on her face. I can see the tear marks but don't comment.
"Max are you okay?"Tor asks pulling away from me and going to her. At least this way she won't feel like everyone knew she was crying.
"Ya..I'm fine,"Max says standing up but when she does I notice the pained expression and from the look Tori gives me I know she did too.
"Max we are your friends you need to tell us what's going on,"I say trying to keep in control but having big a hard time of it.
"We just want to help you Max,"Tori says much gentler.
"It's nothing you can help me with!"she says before storming out of the room. I've never seen her so out of sorts before and it's driving me crazy.
"Tori,"I say pulling her to me.
"What babe,"she says looking up at me.
"You need to ask your dad for help,"I say letting out a breath,"we can't help her but maybe your dad can,"
"I've been thinking about telling him but I wanted more evidence you know,"she says taking my hand and pulling me out of the closet,"but I think we have enough, I'm going to talk to him tonight,"
I sat through the whole day nerves as hell and when the finally bell rang I rushed Tori to her house.
"Do you want to come in babe?"she asks, she's so cute when she's nervous, I put the car in park and follow her in the house. Her moms still at work and her dads sitting on the couch watching some lame cop show.
"Dad can we talk to you?"she asks as we sit down. He flips the tv off and after an annoyed look at me he smiles.
"Of course baby you can talk to me about anything,"he says dropping the smile when he sees her serious face.
"We have a friend and we think she's being hurt."Tori says as she fiddling with the end of her shirt. I take her hand gently in mine and rub.
"We aren't sure if it's by her girlfriend or her family,"I add in.
"Ya we met her girlfriend and she seems as confused as we are but we aren't sure if it's a cover....and she lives with her grandmother so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it,"Tori says looking at him and waiting.
"I can out in for CPS to do a check hun,"he says softly eyeing our hands,"Just give me her name and I'll call a friend."
"But what if we are wrong and they go check...she'll know it was us,"Tori says as her hand tightens around mine.
"they won't tell her who called,"he says picking tip his phone.
"She's know,"I say nodding.
"Then she knows,"he says as he stands,"but would you rather her be safe and upset or still be getting hurt,"
"Safe,"we both say.
"That's what I thought so what's her name and if you know where she loves that would help,"he says grabbing a pin and paper.
"Maxine Crawfield,"Tori says as she chews her lip. I reach up and run a thumb along it so she'll stop and am rewarded with a glare from her dad but I ignore it.
"Her address is 151 riverside drive,"I add and he nods before walking out of the room.
"Jade I'm so nervous," she says laying her head on my shoulder. I hold her close and when her dad comes back and she tried to move I don't let her. He can be mad all he wants but she needs this affection and he can give me dirty looks all he wants.
"They will go over later this evening and check it out,I won't be able to tell you girls all the details but I let you know if she's safe or not,"her father says as he walks back into the room.
"Thank you dad,"she mumbles and I hug her tighter, for once her dad just nods to me instead of giving me the dad look so I know he sees she's upset and needs me.
"Warning your mother is calling! Warning it's your mother on the phone! Answer the bitch before she starts freaking out,"I jump as my phone goes off. I fumble to answer it and can help but smile as Tori laughs at me.
"Hello,"I say
"Jade where are you? You should have gotten out of school an hour ago,"my mother says
"I did but I had to go to Tori's house and talk with her dad,"I say annoyed.
"Did you forget I was here waiting on you?"she asks and I can tell she's trying to keep her cool but is having a hard time.
"Actually I really did,"I say and instead of adding a normal snarky Jade comment I let it go.
"Well could you please come home I'd like to take you out to dinner."she says and I can tell leaving the comment out has kept us from fighting.
"Sure mom...do you mind if I bring Tori?" I ask
"Id rather it just be us tonight l, could we take Tori out tomorrow instead?"she asks in a nice voice.
"You know what mom...sure that would be okay,"I say unsure why I'm being so nice to this woman.
"Okay I'll see you soon,"she says and I hear the phone click.
"What was all that...Jade West not being snarky?"Tori says with a laugh.
"Ya well it's exhausting being so evil all the time," I say standing,"i gotta go meet with my mom and she wants to do dinner tomorrow with you,"
"Okay I'm free,"she says walking me to door.
"Call me as soon as you find out about Max,"I say kissing her softly.
"Sure thing grumpy gills,"she says before closing the door.
As soon as I pull into the driveway my mom comes out and slides into my car.
"I figured you could just drive,"she says with a smile,"I'm sure there's a place you'd like to go,"
"Ya umm how bout sushi?"I ask as I drive
"Sounds great,"she says back. Her smile hasn't left her face and I'm slightly annoyed by it but brush it off.
We get to the restaurant and order before mom starts trying to pry into my life.
"So you and his Tori you've been together for a while?"she asks.
"Ya around a year I guess ever since I came back from visiting you,"I say as I eat.
"That's nice.im glad your happy,"she says and I have to stare at her to see if she's just trying to get under my skin.
"Umm thanks mom,"I finally get out and it causes her to laugh.
"Jade I know you see me as some evil monster but I'm really not,"she says with a sigh,"I really do love you and miss seeing you."
"Mom can we please not do this,"I say trying to stay calm.
"Jade,"she says putting her hand on the one I have resting on the table,"we need to talk and fix things,"
I try really hard to let her hand stay on mine but I end up jerking away.
"If we really have to talk let's at least wait until we get home,"I say and she nods as she slowly pulls her hand back.
"Just promise that we will talk okay?"she asks.
"Ya mom I promise we can talk. " I say with a small smile.