Chapter 25

Grace's POV

"So you'll call if you need anything? And I really mean anything." My mom looks at me over the top of her glasses as we stand in the airport.

"I promise, Mom. Thanks for all your help. I really don't know what I would've done without you." I surprise her by initiating a hug, which she gladly accepts.

"That's what moms are for, Gracie." She grins as we pull away from each other.

She bends and looks carefully at Sophie and Charlotte, who stand by my side.

"Nana, do you have to leave?" Sophie looks at her mournfully, her bottom lip pushed out in sorrow.

"I do, my love. But don't worry, we'll call each other lots and we'll see each other soon." She assures the two little girls.

"Or you can stay here forever." Charlotte jumps into a hug and wraps her arms around my mom's neck, clinging on tightly.

"I wish I could." My mom looks up at me, pulling a face to show how touched she is, as she pulls Sophie into the hug.

Both girls let go and my mom finally stands up, taking hold of her suitcase and quickly smoothes her hair down with her hands and realigns her clothes.

"Alright, little ladies, I've got a flight to catch." She sighs slightly as we walk her to the departure gate.

As we approach the gate, she turns around and gives me one last hug, and kisses the girls on their foreheads, reminding them that she'll be back soon.

"You'll make good decisions, right? For them?" My mom says quietly and gestures towards my daughters.

"I will." I nod. "Love you Mom."

"Love you too Gracie." She waves as she walks through the gate and gets her luggage checked.

Sophie and Charlotte wave frantically, once she has made it through security and walks out of sight. We stand in silence for a second, before Charlotte starts sobbing.

"What's the matter?" I frown concernedly.

"I miss Nana." She wails.

"I miss her too. Don't cry, Charlie." Sophie takes her little sister's hand.

"Am I not good enough?" I joke, but Charlotte nods, causing me to chuckle. "Come on, let's go home."

Chester's POV

When the door opens, I turn around from the kitchen as Sophie walks in through the front door, followed by Grace, who balances Charlotte on her hip. Charlotte's cheeks are tearstained and she rests her head on Grace's shoulder sadly.

"What's wrong?' My forehead creases into a frown.

Suddenly, Sophie and Charlotte's heads perk up and their eyes widen when they see me.

"Daddy!" Sophie shrieks and runs into my arms, followed by Charlotte who wriggles out of Grace's grasp.

I smile, remembering that they don't know that I spent the night here, as I lift them both into my arms. Sophie hugs my neck and wraps her legs around my waist like a little koala.

"Why are you here?" Sophie asks excitedly.

"Well, I live here now." I smile at her sweet face looking back at me.

"But Mommy said that you weren't going to live here anymore." Charlotte raises her eyebrows innocently.

"We decided that it would be an even better idea if we all live together. Isn't that great?" I grin at her and she nods enthusiastically.

"Do you love each other again?" She looks back at Grace, who raises her eyebrows comically.

"Yes, we do, you little monster." Grace taps Charlotte's nose playfully.

"Alright," I say as I put both girls down. "I need to go buy some ingredients for the pasta sauce I'm making."

"Okay, see you in a bit." She kisses my cheek as I grab my keys off the counter and head out the door.

I drive to Target and buy what I need within 15 minutes, and return home hastily. As I enter the house, I spot Grace sitting on the couch, with her back facing me, bent over something.

"I'm back." I call out. "What are you up to?"

She doesn't turn around.

"Grace?" I attempt to get her attention, by approaching her and looking over her shoulder.

In her hands, is my phone, which I must have left here whilst I was out grocery shopping. Her fingers almost look frozen, clutching my phone tightly. I look at the screen and notice she's looking at all of Taryn's messages, which I have ignored for the past few weeks.

All of the messages are pleading for me to come back, or thanking me for coming once, but asking me to come again.

"You told me nothing happened between you two." Grace whispers, still not looking at me.

"Nothing happened, I promise." I assure her honestly.

"If nothing happened, why is she talking about how you visited her?" She speaks softly and calmly, which makes me more nervous than I would be if she were angry.

"I visited her once, but-" My sentence is interrupted as she turns around.

"But nothing. You've proven time and time again that I can't trust you." Her lips are pursed and her eyes are full of pain.

"Grace, you have to listen to me. I went to her house to tell her to leave me alone." I recall the event and tell Grace truthfully.

"You really don't take this seriously, do you?" Tears are glassing over her eyes. "Don't you care about me, or your daughters? All of this seems like a joke to you. You can't just turn to Taryn every time you get tired of us."

"It's not a joke to me. I love you and those girls more than anything in the world. Taryn just won't leave me alone." I plead.

"Get out." She orders, pointing at the door as a tear leaks out of her dark brown eyes.

"Grace, please. I'm being honest here." I take her hand in mine.

"I said get out." Tears are pouring freely down her face now. "My mom was right. I was an idiot for thinking things would change. My daughters don't deserve this."

I hesitate at the door, as Grace grabs my keys and phone and thrusts them at me.

"Get out." She emphasises each word as she turns the doorknob, causing the door to move out from behind me.

I stumble out the door, tripping down the steps and bumping into my car. Afraid to cause anymore pain to Grace, I get into my car as she slams the front door behind her and drive off.

I'm unsure of where I'm going, but wherever it is, I'm going there extremely fast.