Ch. 1: Light Up The Sky

~I run in the dark looking for some light, and how will we know if we just don't try, we won't ever know~

Kiyomi's POV

There are times when Fenrir is great. He gives me advice, he helps me, he gives me strength.

But then there's the other times. The times when he tells me to do completely ridiculous things. Like right now, for example. Where I'm standing on the side of a mountain.

In the middle of a snowstorm.

'I told you why we're here!' Fenrir argued. 'That guy in the village said he'd seen a great black horse up here, and when it vanished not moments later a storm sprung up. It's obviously Seaiga!'

'Except for the fact that the guy who told us this was about a hundred, acted senile, and was obviously drunk!' I retorted angrily. 'He may have seen something, but was probably too drunk to realize it was just a bobcat or something!'

'You don't just dream up a black horse! Seaiga's huge!' Fenrir argued. He was seriously adamant with his belief that it was Seaiga here. 'And what about the storm?'

'Coincidence.'

Fenrir groaned. 'You can't seriously believe that. Now come on, find a cave or something. We need to get out of this storm, and soon. Before you become a popsicle.'

'What the hell do you think I've been trying to do?' I snapped back. The area of the mountain we were on was mostly trees, as we hadn't yet hit the tree line. So there weren't many rocks of suitable size for sheltering in or around.

Fenrir sighed, rolling his eyes sarcastically. 'Do you really want me to answer that?'

'No.'

'That's what I thought.'

I exhaled, and pulled my arms a bit closer to my body. It was really cold, and only going to get colder as more snow started to fall. And from spending most of my life in the Land of Fire meant that I really wasn't accustomed to the cold. Sure, Yamagakure was cold. But I haven't been back there in about eight years.

Right now, this mountain was in the Land of Earth, much further north than Iwagakure. Meaning it was very cold, and there was a lot of snow. Actually, Yamagakure wasn't that far away, meaning if I wanted I could go visit when I was done. Not that I wanted to. Those people don't really like me.

I sniffed the air, trying to get a scent of something beyond snow and trees. And there was a tiny hint of stone there, which I somehow managed to follow. Then there it was. A large bolder leaning against a tree, with a few smaller rocks surrounding it.

'That'll do,' I grinned, heading towards the boulders. I could hide out in between the boulder and the tree, and my body heat should warm the enclosed space fast enough. And if anything, I summon a lizard and make a fire.

I squeezed in the space between the two objects, and rolled a small rock behind me to close off the space. Preserves more heat that way. Inside my tiny new cave, the ground was uncomfortable and the rocks were squeezing me rather painfully. But I'll deal.

After I left Ryuuko's about a year ago, I'd been traveling around the shinobi world. And I'd definitely stayed in places more uncomfortable than this. That one time I was holed up in the Land of Lightning during a thunderstorm and without shelter? That sucked. Mainly because Fenrir turned the lightning bolt-dodging into a training exercise.

'It helped!' Fenrir protested. 'After that, your speed increased significantly!'

'And I was covered in lightning burns that didn't heal for a few weeks afterwards!'