Ch. 27: Not Today

~I don't know why, I just feel I'm better off, staying in the same room I was born in, I look outside, and see a whole world better off, without me in it trying to transform it~

Kiyomi's POV

As Naruto and Sasuke took on all the creatures and Sakura focused on healing the entire force, I melted into the shadows atop Machai. The others focused on the Jubi and I carefully made sure they weren't going to be overwhelmed.

I caught sight of one of the larger creatures approaching Sasuke and his snake from behind, and the Uchiha was too focused on taking down the ones in front of him. Still cloaked in darkness I formed seals, then sent a bolt of lightning shooting towards the creature.

The lightning collided with a boom and the creature collapsed on the ground. Sasuke's eyes briefly flickered back towards where I was hidden, but then returned to fighting. No thanks or anything, not that I really expected it from him.

This continued on for a while, with Machai and I taking care of anything the others missed. The Ten-Tails spawn never saw us coming, not with Machai hiding us in the numerous shadows all over the battlefield.

But the Ten-Tails, restrained as it was, must have finally caught on to what we were doing. Soon the two of us were facing more of the spawns then we could hope to defeat alone. The rest of Team Seven was occupied, Naruto and Sasuke having just unleashed a devastating combo attack and Sakura basically becoming more and more like Tsunade every second.

'My turn,' Fenrir uttered suddenly, and I felt his power rush away from me. My body swayed as the wolf left my body, and my senses returned to normal.

"Are you sure?" I asked aloud as Fen began to materialize. "What about Madara?"

This time Fen's growl appeared in my ears as opposed to in my head. "Screw him. You need my help to fight all these creatures. They are technically my kin, after all. I feel a bit responsible."

I rolled my eyes as the brown wolf fully appeared, standing protectively beside Machai. "You shouldn't," I commented as Fen's snarl echoed across the battlefield. "It's not your fault that Madara is a power-hungry idiot."

"Still," Fen's eyes swept the battlefield, then locked on to the Jubi. "I should at least clean up a bit, shouldn't I?"

"Do as you wish."

Fen swung his head to meet Machai's eyes. "Reptile, get out of here. You've served your purpose. I'll protect the kid now."

Machai bristled, but I knocked on his head. "It's fine. Fen and I will take care of it. You're looking a bit tired, so go back and rest. I'm sure I'll need your help again, and that of your siblings."

"Fiiiiiiine," Machai groaned, but I heard the tremor of exhaustion in his voice. Whatever Lady Kuroi had done to him to make him grow so fast must be tiring. "If you say so. But don't die! We don't find summoners very often, and you're definitely one of our all-time favorites!"

I grinned. "I wouldn't dare die, not with so many people that would kill me for it. Now get going." I could see Machai grin suddenly, which made me a bit worried. Then he vanished from underneath me.

I yelped as I fell, and landed heavily on Fen's furry head. I groaned in pain, having landed on my tailbone, then scrambled to my feet.

Fen didn't look directly at me, but I saw his eyes briefly flicked upward. "Ready to kick some butt?"

"Always."

I knelt down on Fen's head to stabilize myself as the wolf took off, loping steadily through the masses of spawn and the occasional shinobi. As we passed Fenrir would occasionally reach down and literally bite the head off a creature or two, spit it out, then continue on. Meanwhile I was shooting jutsus left and right, using some of Fen's chakra so I didn't die.