Ch. 23: Rise Of The Broken

~Don't look at me like I am such a disgrace, I don't fit the world, so fucking what? So how does it feel, how does it feel, to see the demon inside of me, and I'm letting it out~

Third POV

Roka didn't look back after leaving the other hosts. There was no point.

As he ran, he thought. Where would Sasuke go? Last Roka saw, the Uchiha was traveling to the Land of Iron to interrupt the Five Kage Summit and kill Danzo. Since Roka hadn't heard that Sasuke was dead, he was operating under the assumption his friend was alive.

Assuming Sasuke was still alive, he would probably head towards Konoha next. Even if the village was destroyed, Sasuke wouldn't be sated with killing only Danzo.

So Roka turned more south, planning on heading towards Konoha. But the sounds of an explosion made him stop and look, and his eyes widened. Rising above the skyline, besides the huge smoke cloud, was an orange skeletal figure that was familiar to him as Itachi's Susanoo.

The blond boy made a split-second decision and leapt off in that direction. Where Itachi was, Sasuke was sure to follow. And even if the former was supposed to be dead. Roka had heard enough tales of Itachi's intelligence. If anyone knew what was happening with Sasuke, it was Itachi.

As Roka ran towards where he had seen the explosion, he caught sight of a figure leaping towards him. After a moment it became apparent that it was Itachi.

The Uchiha didn't seem to notice Roka, instead preparing to leap right past him. But Roka blocked the path, his eyes unusually hard.

"You are Itachi Uchiha, correct?" Roka asked. "But you were killed by Sasuke. What are you doing here?"

Itachi sighed, his eyes showing his Sharingan. The sclerae were still black, however. "I don't have time for this."

"I need to find Sasuke, and he'll come for you if he learns you're back," Roka argued, meeting Itachi's eyes head-on. There was no fear in Roka's tone, only a hardness that said he would do anything to find Sasuke. "I'm his... friend."

"Be as that may," Itachi shook his head. "I get your meaning. You want to come with me and meet up with Sasuke. But there are places that would be better served with you there. You don't seem like much of a shinobi, but Sasuke wouldn't keep a weak person with him. So why do you want to find him?"

"... He saved me," Roka said quietly. "And it's more than just me owing him a debt. He's the most important person in my life right now, and I can't let him die. Let me come with you. I need to find my friend."

Itachi's eyes widened briefly in slight surprise, but he quickly composed himself. "You almost sound like Naruto," he mused, thinking of the other blond ninja that he had just left behind.

Roka's eyes hardened as he immediately disagreed. "We're nothing alike," he insisted. "From what Sasuke's told me, Naruto wants to bring Sasuke back to Konoha out of a sense of loyalty or something. I don't want anything from him. I... I just want to see Sasuke safe."

For a moment, Itachi said nothing as he considered Roka's words. Then the Uchiha looked at the sky, and saw that he was wasting time. He had places to be. "Follow if you wish, but don't get in my way." Itachi glanced once at Roka. "This is a change from my plan, but this will get you away from Madara. And the snake's healing powers may prove useful should the situation require it."

Then Itachi was off, leaving Roka standing there bewildered as to how the Uchiha found out about Salila. But a quick comment from the snake herself made Roka return to his senses and hurry after Itachi.