Ch. 4: False Pretense

~The world's got a funny way of turning 'round on you, when a friend tries to stab you right in the face, losing faith in everything I thought I hoped I knew, don't sweat it, set on false pretense~

Kiyomi's POV

Needless to say, this first exam is rather different from the one in Konoha. Actually, really different.

Well, let me back up a bit. After that day where we all sparred, the four of us started to spend time together, taking Kinio seriously when he told us that the exam would be about teamwork. And since it turned out that I was the only one of us who'd actually taken the exams before, my teammates kept asking me questions. I helped as best I could, and we all slowly warmed to each other.

Kadan, despite his flirty and hot-tempered nature, was actually a very loyal person. And once he saw that I really wasn't interested in him, we became sort-of friends. Because he talked a lot, I just sat there and listened as he ranted about whatever had annoyed him that day.

Gin never really lost that aloofness he had, but I did admire his determination to achieve his dream. There was this one afternoon actually, where Gin sat us all down and told us about his team. His girlfriend seemed like a really nice person, and I felt really sorry for the boy.

That afternoon we all talked about our teams, and Naoko got a good laugh at some of Naruto's pranks. But the discussion was bittersweet for me, considering Naruto's last words to me. Even now, almost three years later, they still hurt.

Naoko, though, he was interesting. Being raised as a samurai meant that he really didn't know that much about the shinobi world and culture, and he'd decided that I'd be the one to teach him. Which I disagreed with, but Naoko said that Kadan was too annoying and Gin too distant. So I was his choice. Overall though, Naoko and I grew close, as his sense of humor complemented mine, and it was interesting to hear about some of his experiences.

So yeah. We grew closer and all that shiz. Unconsciously we'd decided to make Gin the team captain, as he was the oldest and the most experienced, mission-wise. And I really didn't want to be a leader. Kadan was out because he didn't think anything through, and Naoko wasn't very well-versed about the shinobi world.

Then it came. Time for the first exam. Kinio sent us to a large gray building that almost looked like a prison. Inside, we hung out in a room with all the other teams until it was start time. And there were a good number of teams. Maybe a few less than the Konoha exam I'd attended.

There were a total of 108 competitors, including my team. Three teams from Amegakure, three from Kusagakure, one from Takigakure, two from Iwagakure, seven from Sunagakure, and ten from Kumogakure. And then my team. The so-called "Misfit Team", with one person from each of four different villages. My only condolence was that no team from Konoha came, meaning I shouldn't recognize anyone.

After waiting in that room for about an hour, we finally received our task. Twenty-seven shinobi from Kumo came, and each grabbed a team and led them to a room. The woman who took my team was middle-aged, and had a dangerous look about her. We never got a name, though.

She led us to a plain room, bare except for a table in the middle and four doors leading out, not counting the one we'd entered through. And that's where we were now.

"Alright, listen up morons," the woman stated harshly, spinning on her heel to face the four of us. "Your task is simple. Three of the packs are trapped, one is not. Take your guesses at which one you personally think isn't, and go through the corresponding door. Once you've chosen your door, be prepared to answer why you chose the pack you did. You can look at the bags, but you cannot open them. Any questions?"