Ch. 17: What If

~I remember going back to to the place we used to lay, but I keep losing track, and now the days they all turn black and our dreams all start to fade, but there's no turning back~

Kiyomi's POV

I was silent as I digested Fenrir's words. It didn't take long until I reached a decision. I've been putting this off for too long.

I took one last look at the headband in my hands, then placed it gently over Akira's heart. After that, I clambered to my feet and hobbled away, not once looking back.

Jiyuu met me after a few steps, silently looping my arm around her shoulders. With her help I walked back to the cave, neither of us saying a word.

There was nothing to be said. Nothing that would ease the ache in my heart.

======

Third POV

"Roka, Suigetsu, come," Sasuke ordered monotonously, stepping out onto the lake. Ripples emanated from where he stepped, but the Uchiha didn't sink.

"Right," Roka nodded, his blonde hair ruffling in the breeze. He stepped out after Sasuke, wobbling slightly but righting himself when Sasuke appeared beside him and grabbed Roka's shoulder. "Thanks," the blonde smiled sheepishly, his hand gripping Sasuke's arm. "I'm still a little weak."

Sasuke frowned angrily, remembering the events that had caused him to have to move up Orochimaru's death. It was almost Roka's death, actually.

~Flashback~

Sasuke was reclining in his room, resting from an exhausting training session earlier that day. He was mostly refreshed, but was taking advantage of the calm. Until a knock at his door made him tense. People didn't just knock at his door.

He carefully opened it, and Kabuto peered in. "Lord Orochimaru sent me to find you," the silver-headed boy reported, clearly unhappy about the order.

Sasuke raised an eyebrow, but otherwise didn't reply. Kabuto opened the door wider, and Sasuke silently walked out, following the medic down various hallways towards a specific place. They ended in one of the training areas, one Sasuke hadn't really used.

When they entered, Sasuke's eyes widened imperceptibly. There, in the middle of the room bound to a wooden stake, was Roka.

The blonde's hair hung limp around him, the fringe that normally covered his left eye hanging forward a bit. His arms were strung up above his head, and he was bound by a steel cord all over. Below his feet was a pile on kindling.

"What's going on?" Sasuke demanded, looking at Orochimaru, who was standing beside Roka's limp form with a smirk on his face.

Orochimaru's expression didn't change when he heard the barely-concealed rage in Sasuke's tone. "I lost interest in him," the snake hissed smoothly, darting a glimpse at Roka. "He became useless, and as such I no longer need him here."

"So you're killing him?" Sasuke's tone was taut with a hint of frustration. "And, why am I here?"

"Why do you care?" Orochimaru retorted, taking a step towards Sasuke. The snake ignored his student's other question. "I brought you here because I thought you might finally learn to kill by watching this. But now I'm interested. You don't need other people in order to achieve your goal. Why the sudden interest in this person?"

Sasuke gritted his teeth, looking over at Roka. "... I thought he could be useful," the Uchiha said slowly. "With his abilities, he could have aided me."