Ch. 24: Paper Walls

~Here I stand, won't turn back again. Won't leave you, know how hard it's been, hear me now, you will never be alone...~

Kiyomi's POV

"Well shit." The words just slipped out as I stared at my brother.

Kaien's green eyes snapped to me, and he frowned. "Language, Kiya. Just because I've been dead for... what, five years? doesn't mean that you can start swearing all over the place. Who taught you that anyway? If it was Hachi, I swear I will kick his ass."

"Language, nii-san," I snapped back, a smile growing on my face. Despite the circumstances, it's been seven years. " And I'm sixteen now. I think I'm allowed to swear a bit."

"Wow, sixteen huh?" Yuudai joined the conversation, resting an arm on Kaien's shoulder. "Big year, then. Anyway, since we don't seem to be fighting each other now, Nasira get over here! We're having a family talk!"

Nasira sighed, but relented and took all of four steps to stand closer to Kaien and I. "This isn't a good idea," she cautioned. "We could start attacking any second now. Kiyomi, please stay on guard. None of us want to hurt you."

I nodded, and took a step back from the rest of my family. Then Kaien turned to me with his usual bright grin on his face. "So Kiya! Tell us what's been happening! Did you become a shinobi? Who was on your team?"

I winced. "Well... yeah, I became a shinobi. I was on Team Seven, with Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, and Sakura Haruno. Our jonin leader was Kakashi Hatake."

All three of my family members began laughed, and even Nasira let out a chuckle or two. I frowned, not understanding the joke, and finally Yuudai explained. "Sorry, it's just that all three of us have some kind of connection to your teammates. Nasira and I were on a team with an Uchiha as well, and we were also good friends with the Haruno's. They were fun, for civilians."

"Kushina Uzumaki was my rival as well when we were genin," Nasira continued, a soft smile on her face as she recalled the memories. "We didn't see too much of each other after Yuudai and I left for Yamagakure, but I still considered her a close friend."

"And Kakashi was my teammate!" Kaien was still laughing. "I remember he was pretty cool, but a bit reclusive. Ah well, I'm glad he was your sensei. Did he do a good job?"

I smiled softly. "Yeah. He was a good teacher."

Then Kaien frowned, his eyes traveling all over my body. "Hey, where's your ninja headband?"

I winced. "I don't really want to talk about that," I said sheepishly, though a hint of desperation leaked into my tone. I don't think I could handle my family's disappointment at how I'd gone rogue. I didn't regret it, but I also knew that these people were dedicated ninja. They wouldn't understand.

Kaien looked confused, but agreed to drop the subject. He brightened up pretty quick when he thought of another topic to speak about. "So, any boys I need to beat up?" He was winking pretty dramatically, and then Yuudai joined in.

"If you're speaking in a romantic sense, then no," I responded. "I'm not really interested in a relationship." If things were calmer, then I might reconsider, but at the moment there was no point. And even when the war is over...

"Smart choice," Nasira said, looking blankly at her husband's antics. "Men aren't worth it. Neither are women, if you swing that way. Just don't bother." Just then Yuudai and Kaien fist-bumped each other, then did a ridiculous 'whoosh' thing afterwards. Nasira looked so done with the two of them.

We watched them for a moment, then Nasira suddenly lashed out at me, her axe cutting a slice along my waist. "Ouch! Sheesh, guess you're back to attacking, huh?" Nasira nodded at my words as she threw the axe again, and this time I was forced to dodge or get wounded.