Ch. 20: People Like Us

~They can't do nothing to you, they can't do nothing to me, this is the life that we choose, this is the life that we bleed, so throw your fist in the air, come out, come out if you dare, tonight we're gonna change forever~

Third POV

"You know, I think instead of waiting for Kiyomi to come back we should go out and try and see what's become of the last two hosts," Jiyuu commented. Her and Orion were laying on the warm rocks atop the mountain. They'd been doing that for about a day now. It got boring real fast.

Orion shrugged, not seeming totally against the idea. "You got any ideas?" he asked, glancing sideways at his fellow host. "'Cause I got nothing. I never paid any mind to anyone besides myself while wanderin'."

"Well, from what Kiyomi told me, Ahio's host is part of the Akatsuki." At Orion's surprised look, Jiyuu only shrugged. "She didn't give me details, only that. Their last encounter seemed traumatic for her. I'm not too sure how good an idea it would be to bring them together again."

"Not a problem'," Orion drawled. "Simple solution, really. Kill the current host, find ah better one."

Jiyuu looked uneasy as she shrugged. "Maybe leave that for after we find Salila?" she suggested. Kiyomi had said that Ahio's host was only a kid, not even a teen. No matter what he'd done, it would be hard to kill someone like that.

Orion dropped it. "Fine, how'abouts we start with the Akatsuki, see where they're lookin'? Mayhap they can lead us to the snake."

Jiyuu considered it, and finally nodded. "Good plan. Let's start now."

The shaggy-haired boy groaned, but heaved himself to his feet, already used to his companion's mood. He wandered over to his stuff, easily grabbing the whole thing and slinging his katana over his shoulder. "Let's be off, then," he called over to Jiyuu, who was also packing. The girl nodded with a grin, and together they began walking down the mountain. They had no idea how they could find the Akatsuki, but that was a problem for later.

======

"Come, Zeru..." a ginger man muttered, holding out a hand for the young boy to take. "It's time for you to play your part."

The blond boy in front of him looked at the hand hesitantly, then reached out and grasped it with one slender hand of his own. The other hung by his side, clutching a ragged stuffed bird. The bird was on it's last legs, stuffing falling out of a tear in the side of it's head.

The ginger man led the boy through dark halls, eventually arriving at a door. The man took one last look at the young boy who was following, and a flash of sadness flicked in his eyes briefly. Then it was gone, and the man was opening the door.

Inside was a large dark cavern, empty except for the large, grotesque statue that was right in the center. Upon it's raised hands stood four people, ready and waiting.

Zeru stopped when he caught sight of the statue, freezing from pure shock. But Pein urged him forward, though not roughly. He treated it like Zeru was a scared animal.

Up on two of the fingers, Konan shot a look at Tobi, or 'Madara' now. "Will it work with only the five of us?" she questioned softly.

Madara's grin was hidden behind the orange mask. "The Elemental Beasts are weaker than the Tailed Beasts, so it shouldn't be a problem to seal Ahio with only the five of us. And we don't have to worry about going in order like the Tailed Beasts. It's just nature chakra. A good pastime while we wait for the Uchiha to retrieve the Eight-Tails."

Konan only nodded, looking for the last time upon the child that called her Mother. It saddened her to see this happen to the boy, but she was willing to sacrifice anything for peace. Even Zeru.