TWO (EDITED)

I step in to the elevator, struggling to push the button, I hold multiple overflowing grocery bags in my arms after a very successful trip to the supermarket

I step in to the elevator, struggling to push the button, I hold multiple overflowing grocery bags in my arms after a very successful trip to the supermarket. I end up jabbing the button with my elbow, huffing.

It's Sunday, and I begin my new job tomorrow. I've been a nervous wreck all day, worrying about the impression I'm going to make tomorrow. This is the start of my career, and I can't mess it up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly excited for this job, too. I have hardly stopped smiling or thinking about it since I got the job the other day. I wonder what my co-workers be like. I hope I make some friends in the workplace.

The elevator dings to my floor and I step out, my arms aching for carrying the heavy bags. I struggle with my keys and accidentally drop them on the floor.

"Great," I huff. I'm about to bend down slowly to retrieve them when a hand reaches out and takes them before I can. I look up to see a boy with deep brown eyes and a kind face.

"You dropped these," He says, smiling at me.

"Thanks," I say. "I appreciate it."

"No worries," He says. "I'm Liam."

"Rose."

"You moved in here?" He gestures to my apartment.

"Yeah, yesterday," I pause. "Do you live in this building?"

Liam laughs and shakes his head. "No, but I have a friend that does."

"Oh." I nod.

"Well, have a nice night," he says, smiling at me once again.

"You, too."

He turns and walks towards the door across the hall from me.

"Wait," I say, furrowing my brow again.

Liam turns and looks at me expectantly.

"You're friends with Harry?" I ask.

Liam nods. "Yep," he says. "You've met him?"

"Unfortunately," I say and Liam laughs.

"Oh, he gave you a hard time?"

"No, he was just really, really rude. So yeah, I guess he actually did." I shift the grocery bags in my arms and laugh lightly.

"That's Harry," Liam says, chuckling. He says it so lightly, so easily. I wonder if Harry was as rude when they met as he was- still is, to me now.

Suddenly, the door to Harry's apartment opens, and he steps out. He wears a t-shirt and the same dark jeans and boots.

"What the hell is the hold up?" He snaps at Liam and then looks at me. He doesn't say anything to me.

"Nothing, just helping Rose with her keys," Liam replies, unaffected by Harry's rudeness.

"Well, hurry up," Harry grumbles. "We have work to do."

"All right," Liam says. "It was nice meeting you, Rose." He says, and smiles to me again.

"You, too," I say, eyeing Harry. Harry rolls his eyes at our friendly exchange and slams the door as soon as Liam enters his apartment.

It continues to baffle me how Harry is so rude. How could he have a friend like Liam, who seems so kind and friendly?

I unload my groceries, still annoyed at Harry's behavior. What did I ever do to him that made him want to be so vicious?