FORTY-TWO (EDITED)

note:
If you beautiful people would, could you please go read my Harry fan fiction Neptune? It would mean so much to me. Thank you all! X.

- brea (: seasidestyles

-

I swallow, unable to form words to say to her. Memories flash before my eyes as she looks on, her eyes cold.

"Rose," She finally says, her tone clipped. "Elizabeth," I manage to say. She sets her lips into a tight line.

"Your father's in his study," My mother says, attempting to break the ice. "Go say hello and I'll put your bags in your room."

I nod and tear my eyes away from my sister. She's four years younger than me, but sometimes I feel she's the older sibling, and I the younger one.

I blindly make my way to my father's study, knocking lightly on the door before entering.

"Rosalie," He greets me from his desk, taking off his glasses. "How are you?"

"I'm alright," I say, smiling. "It's great to see you." "You, too. You look wonderful, darling."

I smile. "Thanks, Dad. You look pretty good, too."

He laughs. "How's Portland treating you?"

"I love it there," I say honestly. "It's a beautiful city."

"It is," My father agrees. He stands from his desk. He looks the same, as well. Dark hair with touches of grey and kind brown eyes. "Let's go to dinner, I'm sure your mother is ready with it."

I nod and follow him into the dining room, where my mother and Elizabeth put plates on the table. Elizabeth ignores me.

I take my old seat at the table. "Everything looks great," I compliment my mother.

"Thanks, love." She says. Everyone takes their seats. My mother spoons spaghetti onto each person's plate. I notice that when she reaches my father. she avoids his gaze. Odd.

We finally start eating, and my body warms with the familiar taste of my mother's spaghetti. For the first part of the meal, it's silent with the exception of forks clanking on plates.

My mother speaks up. "Rose, how is Aaron doing?"

I swallow quickly. "Oh," I say. "Aaron...we broke up."

My mother furrows her brow. "Oh, how come?"

Because he forgot about me all the time. Because he lied to me. Because he hit me. Because Harry was always there for me when Aaron wasn't, even when Harry and I hated each other. "Things just didn't work out," I say casually.

"I'm sorry, Rosie," My mother says, clucking her tongue.

"It's alright." I say. "Some people just aren't right for each other. I guess."

My father shifts in his seat and my mother looks down. I furrow my brow, thoroughly confused.

Elizabeth slams her fork down next to her plate. "Go on, tell her," She snaps at our parents.

I swallow. Tell me what?

"Elizabeth," My mother hisses.

"Come on, this is the perfect opportunity. Tell her. Go ahead." Elizabeth's expression is hard.

"Tell me what?" I ask shakily.

My parents exchange a glance.

"Rose." My father says slowly. "Your mother and I..." He clears his throat. "Your mother and I are getting a divorce."