Chapter 1

~~7 months earlier~~
"Hello, I'm calling because of the help wanted sign outside of your establishment," I said in my grown up voice.

"I'm sorry to inform you, but the position has been taken," he informed, my heart sinking into my chest.

"Please, I really need this job " I pleaded.

"I'm really sorry ma'am, thank you for calling, bye," he said, hanging up.

"Wai---" I began to say, but it was too late, my last chance at a good job was gone. I had one month until I got kicked out of this home. No one was gonna suddenly adopt a seventeen year old out of the blue, just because she needed them to. All I needed was some time and a place to stay until I can figure stuff out.

I walked through the door of the home, the clock on the wall showed 1:30am. I had to walk all the way to New York to job search and use the last of my pocket change to make the phone call. But, it was worth it...

~~6 months later~~
I sat on a street corner holding up one of those "I'm poor and need help" signs. I didn't look up at anyone because it made things worse. People were already looking down on me, I don't need their pity, just some money...
~~Hours Later~~
I got a five dollar bill from an older lady, who made me read my sign out loud several times because she forgot her glasses at home and was hard of hearing. I got four pennies from some kid who found them in his back pocket, and a linty sucker from an elderly man sneaking out of his retirement home... I didn't ask. I pocketed the five and pennies, and dusted off the sucker and ate it because, why not. Things weren't that bad, but they could definitely be better. I took myself to a fast food restaurant, sticking to the dollar menu, which wasn't that bad, I could still feed myself tomorrow too now. I needed to get a job, any job. Maybe one that would house me, maybe even feed me! I loved the thought of free food.

I was walking past an apartment building when I noticed a medium hight, black man stumbling, and struggling to stand. He had a hood over his head but I could see his face clearly. He was on some kind of drug, maybe all of them. I stepped in to help him.

"Hey, you alright?" I asked. He nodded and pulled keys from his pocket, dropping them.

"Here," I said, picking them up and helping him inside.

"What's your name?" I asked, helping him into the elevator.

"Malcolm," he responded, falling into me.

"Okay, Malcolm, I'm Emma," I said lifting him back up and helping him to his apartment.

"Nice to meet you Emma," he grunted, grasping his keys. He pulled himself together a bit better and started to find the right key. The elevator doors opened and a woman my height with black hair, strode out of the elevator and up to us.

"What are you doing here kid?" She questioned, taking the keys from Malcolm, opening the door and pushing him inside with the keys.

"I was just helping Malcolm out, he seemed to be struggling" I answered.

"Why?" She asked straight faced.

"Cause, it was the right thing to do I guess" I said.

"Hmm" she said, walking over to her apartment. The door was broken with cardboard where glass would be.

"What'd you say that for?" I asked, staying by Malcolm's door. She didn't answer. "What happened to your door?" I asked.

"Unhappy customer" she replied opening her door.

"Oh... What do you do? If you don't mind me asking" I said. She huffed.

"Come in," she invited. I came in and she closed the door behind me. "Sit down" she said pointing to a chair facing a desk. There was a cyan couch to the right of that. I sat down and she sat in the chair on the other end of the desk."What's your name kid?" She asked.

"Emma" I answered, folding my hands.

"I'm Jessica, by the way" she added. "Now, what are you doing in New York?" She questioned.

"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Well your obviously not from here, normal people who see a junkie don't help them. And normal people don't engage in conversations with me, so where are you from?" She asked, laying back in her chair.

"A foster home just a few hours away from here" I replied, unfolding my hands and crossing my arms.

"Saint Annie's?" She said.
"Yeah, you know it?" I asked.

"I lived there for a hot second" she replied. "When did you get out?" She asked.

"A little more than a month ago..." I said, she nodded, I knew she knew what I was going through, could see it in her eyes. "Its been tough, I've begged for money the last two days, and all the jobs I looked into turned me down" I explained.

"Damn" she said. "Where are you staying?" She asked.

"Anywhere away from people, if possible. I'm scared someone's just gonna slit my throat while I'm sleeping or something" I said, Jessica looked down and swore under her breath.

"Your staying here" she said.

"Oh! Okay, thank you, I promise, after tonight I'll be gone," I started.

"No..." She said, I looked at her funny.
"You live here now" she added. At first I wasn't sure if I should be scared or excited.

"Thank you?" I said unsure.

"I'm not gonna leave you on the street, it just can't happen" she said.

~~Jessica's POV~~
I didn't know this kid, but I did in a way. I just knew that i had to help her...