Chapter 7

Jessica was wheeled off to jail and I recovered my clothes and tooth brush before the police went through everything.

I headed back to Trish's apartment. Her apartment was pitch black, Trish must have already gone to bed. I reached for the door. As soon as I opened up the balcony door, an alarm went off! I swore under my breath and walked inside shutting the door, the alarms still sounding. Suddenly I saw a shadow coming at me! The next thing I knew I was on the floor!
The kitchen light came on.

"Emma?!" Trish said, walking over to me and putting me on my feet. "Are you okay??" She asked. I was still waiting for my breath to return.

"Yeah," I huffed.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asked again.

"Yeah" I said, my breath back to normal. "Where'd you learn that anyway?" I asked. She hesitated. Then she walked away into another room. I slowly followed after her to a work out room.

"This is the spare room..." She said looking around. There were mats on the ground and a punching bag.

"What's all this for?" I questioned.

"I used to hide behind Jessica, I'd let her protect me. But I couldn't, just do nothing... I am my own protector now... I wanted to stop feeling sorry for myself"

I slept on the couch, I had no problem that but I can't say I really slept. For maybe the first time in a long time I just couldn't sleep. I was too busy thinking about what Trish said. I also wanted to stop feeling sorry for myself. It was no way to live. Everyone had their own problems and obstacles. I couldn't forget about the past but I had to move on... A job, earning some money could be good... Yeah, a job could be exactly what I need.

Trish hooked me up with a job at a very nice and very expensive restaurant. I'm a bus boy, or bus girl, not really sure if the name changes? I get paid quite a bit and work quite a bit but its worth it. I work from opening to closing, Monday-Friday, and in a few months I can start paying for my own stuff. I plan on getting my own apartment one of these days, I can't couch hop for life...

~~ Two weeks later~~

I hadn't heard much from Jessica, I'd get some news from Trish if anything arose but, just the other day she suggested that i quit my job! She said it was too dangerous! The only danger i'm in doing my job is touching garbage! And even that was a joke. It was getting later the restaurant would be closing in an hour or so. I took out the bags of garbage from the day out back. I yawned and returned inside to wash my hands and to see what else i could do. Upon return a man walked in with a bit on an entourage. He wore a fitting dark purple suit and fancy leather shoes. He had combed brown hair, was thin, and had a British accent. He strode up to my manager and demanded a seat in the back. My manager, who was a very nice guy but never did as someone asked, HE gave orders. My manager just turned around and sat them down at a table in the back. The more I looked at this guy the more he didn't make sense. He only ordered for himself the most expensive meal on the menu, the people he was with looked kinda random. He was dressed up and they weren't. He gets the nicest seat in the whole place, either this guy was a huge douche with a ton of money or... I don't know. Suddenly I noticed that the people he brought with me were doing the same thing to me as I was to their boss or something. Suddenly it hit me, these guys were there to watch me! The boss came back and made eye contact with me, he had plans in his eyes... I bolted out the back door, running into an alley. I faintly heard the man yell "Bring her back!" the next thing I knew I was being chased down by three guys! They were gaining on me and I didn't have much street left! The fence up ahead and approaching quick had a small hole in the bottom. I Jumped for it and slid, scraping my knee in the process! I didn't slide very far and clawed away. Suddenly one of the men grabbed my ankle and drug me backwards. I kicked him with my free foot and got less than an inch away before the other two got a hold of me and pulled me back!

"Hold her down for god's sake" The boss man said and suddenly my face was on the pavement. I looked up at the man.

"What do you want from me?" I asked. He looked away, as if he was insulted.

"It's not what I want from you...It's what i want from Jessica" he said. Then it struck me.

"What do you want from Jessica" I asked, he laughed. He got low to where I was.

"I want her to come for you. Now be a good girl and don't run" he said, I spit at his face and missed! "And no more of that!" he demanded. His body guards got up off me and i stood up, confused as could be. "Now, go back inside" he said, as if I was gonna listen! I bolted again! "Stop!" he shouted, I suddenly was blocked by a van that came into the alley."Don't just stand there, get her!" he commanded and they did. I ran back towards the guards and tried to make it through the fence again but was caught instantly. The boss guy looked me dead in the face while I struggled, he looked as if he had seen a ghost. "Tie her up!" he shouted his voice cracking, something about me scared him. His guards over powered me and I started to feel tired. The last thing I wanted to do was give up but I also didn't want to die. They put me I the back of the van with the man. He stared at me intently, I was too tired to fight back or even to argue. "How can you do that?" he asked, I looked at him funny.

"Do what?" I asked, confused. He looked shocked and angry at the same time.

"Resist me.." he said, I shook my head.

"I don't know what you mean" I said honestly.

"So Jessica never spoke of me then?" he asked. 

"If you are who I think you are... I know nothing about you. But I do know one thing. Jessica Jones won't be coming for me" I stated.

"Jessica and I were happy together, then she just threw me under the bus, quite literally..." He said. I chuckled. "What? I'm serious" He said. I chuckled some more.

"She didn't love you then, if you got hit by a bus then..." I started to say, he shook his head.

"It was love and it was real" he said, as if he were trying to convince himself. 

"Okay, okay. But why are you kidnapping me if your trying to get back with her?" I asked legitimately. He went silent for a second.

"I want someone to get sedatives, and I want someone to get me a full report on an Emma Doe" he said to the drivers.

I could tell this was gonna be one hell of a week...