Chapter 32

~5 months earlier~

"Emma!? Oh my god!! Someone call an ambulance!!" I could hear Ruby, my new roommate screaming but I couldn't move or see. I was suspended somewhere in between, Ruby's voice sounded distant here. Suddenly something touched me and it was almost as if I fell into my body. When my eyes opened Ruby was standing over me with a crowd of unfamiliar faces... Well, all but one...

"Zach..?" I said recalling the man who originally told me to come here..

"Yes, are you alright?" He replied.

"Yea, I think so, what's happening?"

"You were in limbo.. I pulled you out,"

"Wait, I don't understand, what and why?" I questioned.

"Its the place between the living and the dead... Why were you trying to go there?"

"I wasn't, I thought of someone and..." I fell silent. Zach realized I barely had control over my power.

"Alright everyone shes okay now, head back to your cabins," he announced and six or seven people left. It was just Zach and Ruby now. "You and me, lets train tomorrow, I'll teach you to stay away from that place and protect yourself the best I can," Zach said helping me up to my feet.

"Thanks, I appreciate it," I said and things went silent.

"... If you're here, does it mean that man is dead?" He asked shyly.

"Yes... I killed him," I answered. Zach didn't look worried or even disturbed, the tiniest smirked appeared in the corners of his mouth.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, that must have been difficult," he said strangely.

"...Yeah..."

"You should rest, after breakfast, we train," he said. I just nodded and he left.

Ruby, who had been patiently waiting for Zach to leave spoke.

"Are you okay?" She asked concerned.

"Yea.. I just feel a bit off,"

"Come downstairs and sit on the couch with me," she offered. I followed Ruby downstairs to a large black couch.

We sat and talked for hours. She told me the story of how she discovered her power and even how she ended up here. She had worked a normal job, no family, struggling to get by.. She walked off a building one day and that's how she discovered she could levitate. She had been floating off the edge and people saw her, that's when Zach found her.

"Who is Zach by the way? Do you trust him?"

"I trust him with my life!! He's the unofficial leader around here, he manages the cabins the few of us still left,"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Oh, just that we lose people sometimes, out on missions mostly,"

"Lose people?" I questioned.

"It gets dangerous out there sometimes.."

"Woah, wait, what are you talking about. Dangerous missions, what do you guys do here??"

"We help people who can't help themselves,"

"So.. You fight crime?" I asked.

"Some of us anyway, some help in other ways," she explained.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Like... Im on suicide watch, I catch people if they jump or try to talk them out of it,"

"Wow, so you guys are a good organization..?"

"The best! I just cant wait until you meet everyone!!"

~Present Day~

Jessica had refused to let me leave to find a person from the stack. Trish never said a word. The trick was... I had memorized an address or two and was leaving without permission.

First location... Abandoned building