Chapter 33

The building looked old, the red of the bricks had darkened to a brown and many windows were broken. I found a side entrance door that was busted enough to open and sneak inside. I stepped through, it was dark and dank, several rats scurried along the halls past me. I walked down the hallway and found myself in a lab of some sort, there was a huge tube tank shattered. It looked exactly like the ones from the movies, the tanks that contained human experiments.. I moved in closer and could see a faint purple goo still left over at the bottom. I reached down into the tank careful not to cut myself on the jagged glass sticking up. I made contact with the goo, it stuck to me like gum and strung from my finger as I pulled my hand back. Disgust waves over me as a smell of something rotten followed. The wiped the goo onto my pants and continued to look through the lab. All over the floor were scattered pages as if a tornado had blown through the place. I tried sifting through the pages, one in particular catching my eye. I kneeled down and glanced at the page.

"What the hell are you doing??" A voice called. I spun around quickly to find Jessica with an angry look on her face.

"Before you get mad... Look at this.." Jessica snatched the sheet and began reading. "We were both here... On the same night.."

"But that doesn't make sense, you wouldn't have been born yet?" Jess said. I shook my head, "I was born that exact day.."

"How old are you Emma?"

"Im almost 19.. Why? "

"Emma, if you were born the day of the accident you'd only be about 17 years old..."

"That makes no sense... I don't feel 17..."

"What age were you when you were sent to that home?"

"I don't know like 2 or 3,"

"But when?" She asked and I paused.

"I- I don't know..." I responded. Jessica grew weary and stuffed the papers away.

"We should go now, not safe here," Jessica urged. I didn't hesitate to follow.

Jessica did what she does best and investigated my arrival into this world. There was no found evidence of me even existing, nothing at all. It made me wonder what was even real anymore. I knew for sure now that before, kilgrave probably wasn't able to find anything either and faked documents. At this point I wasn't sure of how old I was or what my name is. But I was certain I came from that lab.. I could feel it in a strange way, I just wish I understood why or how. Jess keeps saying this whole thing goes deeper... And that's what I'm afraid of..

~~5 months earlier~~

It was morning at the cabin, Ruby was cooking up some bacon for breakfast. I came down stairs to view the food, Ruby stood over a stove careful not to burn herself on hot popping grease.

"Oh! Good morning, how are you feeling?" She asked

"Good, better than last night for sure,"  I said and Ruby looked concerned.

"What?" I questioned.

"You've been asleep for a few days.."

"Wait what??" I shouted unintentionally.

"Zach came by after you fell out and checked on you, he said to let you sleep it off," she explained.

"Oh.." I said going into thought.

"Zach said to go see him when you woke up," she added.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"Biggest cabin.. Can't miss it," she responded still tending to breakfast.

With that said, I left and went to the biggest cabin. When I arrived it looked almost identical to the others the one difference being the size. I knocked on the door and without hesitation I heard Zach's voice.

"Emma, come on in," he invited.

I opened the door and saw Zach sitting peacefully on a couch in the living room. His eyes were closed and he seemed to be meditating.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked still standing awkwardly by the door.

"Yes, come in and get comfy," he said with his eyes still closed. I continued inside and sat on another couch facing his.  "How did you sleep?" He asked.

"Um. Well enough, I guess," I responded.

"Good. We have a lot of work to do," he said and finally opened his eyes.
"It's time you learned to use your gift.. are you ready?" He asked staring into my soul, it was as if his gaze reached a part of me that hadn't been acknowledged before.

"Yes," I replied.

"Close your eyes Emma, and breathe  like you're breathing air for the first time and it's refreshing like a cold drink of water. Let yourself fall deep into thought...I'll meet you there," he instructed and I did as he asked.
I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. I had done this before, I had fallen out of the world and into the shadow where I could move around and see everything, I had no fear letting go and traveling. I felt myself slither from my physical form and travel to the other place. I felt light and free here, like nothing could hurt me.

"Can you hear me?" I heard Zach's voice but it wasn't like before it was a faint echo.

"Yes," I answered.

"Good. First thing is first, you are in control, never forget that... Now, go back to an important memory, one with a lot of emotions bad or good,"

I struggled for a moment,all the memories I had before that moment seemed further away and unclear. I tried harder to remember but one fleeting memory caught my attention.

"I was in a hotel..." I started. The dark world that I was in changed before my eyes and became the scene of that memory. "I was trying to escape him...  But I was too weak to fight back," I described. Tears welled up in my eyes. The scene started to play out in front of me. I saw myself struggle with all of the drugs in my system, I finally made it to the hallway when I ran into a guest. Then I watched the betrayal unfold again bringing forward feelings I couldn't describe.

"That feeling that you hold is your power... Your strength. Hold onto that and never let it go. Now, think of a living person," he directed.
My first thought was of Jessica and in that instant I saw her. It was like when I astral projected before.. but it felt different.

"Now, let her go," he instructed. I felt conflicted.

"What do you mean?" I asked feeling hesitant.

"She's tied to your past, letting go of her hold on you will make you stronger," he inticed. I remained still unmoved. "You will only keep tiring yourself out if you don't, your power is draining your life from you... If you refuse, you will die a horrible death," he explained. His words pierced my soul like bullets. What if I wasn't ready? "Just free yourself Emma, this is your home now, we are your family," he added. I paused for a long moment.

"How?" I asked.

"Simply imagine you're cutting a cord and you'll be free," he said. A silver cord appeared between Jessica and my energy body... Then I did as he said and cut the cord. The scene changed to the cabin in full color but I knew I was still away from my body. I could see Zach now, he seemed pleased.
"Good now we can move forward. The shadows and darkness you saw before has lifted so long as you cut yourself from your loved ones. It's the price we pay to continue on to help people,"

~That night~
I felt different.... I felt like the first time in a year I had control over my own life.