Chapter 27

The front door flung open and smacked into the wall. I jolted awake to see Jessica stumbling into the apartment.

"Is Trish here?" She asked frantically. I shook my head. "Trish!" Jess called as she searched. I sat up groggily.

"What's going on?" I called out to Jess. She came back and began fumbling through her desks drawers.

"Last night Trish and I got into a fight and now I can't find her. She hasn't answered my calls. I think something happened, " Jess looked sick with worry.

"What was the fight about?" I asked.

"She wanted me to come home with her... I was drunk, " Jess started. "She left without me," Jess said swaying like she were off balance.

"Well, maybe she's home?" I asked still observing Jessica.

"Checked, and the radio station, " Jess said. "I think kilgrave might have taken her, " she added. My heart fell into my stomach.

"This soon?" I questioned. Jess shot me a dirty look. "I don't mean to sound that way but yesterday was a lot," I started.

"Don't underestimate him," she barked. I could tell Jess wasn't herself.

"Jess, you should sleep, you've probably been up all night, " I reasoned. Jessica lightened up and seemed less aggressive.

"You're right..." She spoke softly. She had dark bags under her eyes. I got up and walked her into the bedroom.

"Just rest for a few. When you get up, you and I can resume the search, " I assured. Jessica just nodded and laid down. Within moments she was snoring sound asleep.

I came back into the living room and got into the stash, going back the bottle I opened the night before. I spun open the cap and guzzled the bottle like one gigantic shot. The burn was almost enjoyable this time. The desk began to vibrate in short bursts. I opened up the drawer and saw Jessica's phone going off and answered.

"Hello?"

"Oh. You're not Jessica, " Trish's voice said.

"I just got her to lay down. She says she was up all night looking for you, "

"That's funny because I was looking for her. Glad she's home now... Hey, can you keep a secret? " she asked.

"...Yeah, of course. What's up?"

"Im following a lead on something big... I can't tell Jess yet but I will soon... Can you just keep an eye on Jess?"

"Yeah, and I won't mention anything, "

"Thank you. Can you have her call me later?" She asked.

"Yeah of course, " I replied.

The call ended and I continued to drink. The bottle was nearly empty now but Jess wouldn't miss it, and if she did she'd just buy another bottle. I finished the bottle, my thoughts became unclear, and the room started to blur. I stumbled away from Jessica desk and into the couch. My body numbed to my own touch and I drifted away. The bottle that was still glued to my hand slipped through my fingers and onto the floor. Suddenly undrunk I saw my own body lying on the couch. What happened? I grabbed my body and tried to jump back in. My body jolted at my touch and denied me from entering. I grabbed my body from the astral realm, shaking myself only making my physical body seize. I couldn't get back into my body! I came to Jessica's bedside and tried touching her. My hands phased right through her like I was a ghost!

"No, no, no. Jessica! I screamed but no words came out. Jessica did not hear me, she slept calmly and deeply.
I tried to keep calm, I couldn't control things like I used to. I was too weak... I sat down on her bed, making no commotion to the sheets or anything. I crossed my legs, closed my eyes, and tried to meditate. Nothing was happening! My image flashed as if I were fading away. I ran back to my body, it lay motionless before it started jolting without my touch. My physical body started to have a seizure and I could do nothing but watch. The door opened and Malcolm rushed to my aid.

"Emma!" He shouted trying to hold down my body. Jessica must have heard him because she stumbled into the room quickly.

"Oh my God, Emma!" She shouted and took control of holding my body down. Malcolm picked up a phone and started calling the police. My image faded a little more and I knew I wouldn't last too much longer. My body stopped spasming. Malcolm had stayed on the phone with the police until an ambulance arrived.
"C'mon kid. The ambulance is here, " Jessica whispered to me. Jess picked up my limp body and took me outside to the ambulance. Her worry for me kept me fighting even though I wanted to let go...