Chapter 21

"Set you up in a new life? That's crazy Emma, there is no way they have the resources for that. It's most likely the government trying to cover up the fact that you exist," Jessica argued.

"But what if it's not! We'd be set for life, we could live in a cabin!" I envisioned.

"Emma... We need to focus on the issues at hand. I still have promises to fulfil..."

"I know. I'm not talking about now... I'm talking a month or three down the road..."

"Okay. I'll play along. Let's say these people are telling the truth, that they can fix all of our problems. What then? Work a nine to five job? Settle down? Have kids?"

"Y- yeah... But when you say it like that..."

"Emma, that's a normal life, for normal people. We are not normal people."

"I know that! But what else is there? More running? More hiding! I can't Jess... I need more. You need more! We need to bury this shit and start anew."

"Emma, I agree with you. And you know me, I'm stubborn... But we can't think of the future right now."

"Okay. Okay. But what do I do then?"

"Give me so time kid and I'll have an answer for ya.."

I wanted to argue again but it was fruitless. Jessica had made up her mind and in a way, mine changed, she was right... We needed to steer away from the future and talk about now.

"Okay. Work with me then. What's the plan for kilgrave? What's next?" I asked.

"Hope." She replied caught up in a thought.

"Hope...? For what?" I asked. 

"No, Hope, the one who murdered her parents. We're going to expose kilgrave, and the only way we can do that is if he confesses."

"So how can we get him to confess?"

"Simpson knows about this medically sealed room, we've set it up with cameras and microphones."

"Okay but what's your game? What do you have against him to get him to say anything we want to know?"

"We have a few people..."

"Who?"

"A lawyer... His parents.... and you..."

My heart skipped.

"Parents? I have grandparents? Me?! What do you want me to do??"

"Hey, hey, hey, calm down. All you have to do is talk to him," she said simply. I calmed down a little.

"I wanna meet my grandparents,"

"You will kid.."

"When...?" I asked. I felt this hole in my chest. This wanting to be apart of a family. I felt myself let go, for just a second, but in that time tears had fallen.

"Kid..." Jessica said. She melted a little and hugged me. Her grip was firm and lovingly. The type of hug that puts some of your pieces together. Jessica was my family... Blood didnt make someone family... But those people are apart of me.

"I can call Albert in a bit. I'm sure he's unaware..." She said releasing from hug.

"Thank you" I said simply.

~2 weeks later~

I couldn't breathe. All of the air in my lungs had left me, but I didn't gasp, I just stood there motionless. Breatheless. Dead. My finger tips became numb as powerful gust of pins and needles waved over my body. I was cold. Colder than ice. Colder than that first jump into cold water. I was much colder. I was frozen; blood, brain, heart. She was gone... Right before my eyes... Could this have been avoided...

~1 week before~

"Are you nervous?" Jessuca asked. I wiped my hands on my jeans. Again and again. I couldnt hide it, the anticipation was causing an internal panic. Scenario after scenario of what could go wrong. All of this conflict happening within milliseconds.

"Just a little" I answered.

"It'll go great, I promise." Tyen suddenly I was stuck on that word 'promise'. Jessica didnt say it often. Maybe she really did believe it was going to be okay. Maybe shes right. As my thoughts accumulated in my head I relized I had been moving tge whole time. I was standing outside of a door and ready to knock. Before I could stop myself I had already knocked. Then as if I had done something wrong, I was forced from my own head. Suddenly everything was clear and prominent. As if I was living in time to feel the fear. The door openedly slowly for tge insider to peak, then the door flung open and I was being held but two lovely old people. They hadn't said anything clear enough to understand but they didn't have to say anything.

"You're home"