Chapter 31

~~5 months earlier~~

"Cabin isn't half bad I don't think. What's your opinion, Emma?"

"... It's, uh, big. And nice..." I replied nearly lost for words

"Right!! I can't believe the organization set this up for us... Two floors... I call downstairs!"

"What was your name again?" I asked.

"Ruby, I can levitate," she said then started rising a few inches from the floor before touching back down.
"What can you do?" She asked.

"Uh, I can travel outside my body and sometimes fully travel,"

"Oh! Like teleportation?"

"Yeah, exactly,"

"Can you do it now? Teleport to the top of the stairs!" She nearly shouted in excitement.

"Its a little more complex- nevermind, maybe later," I said then just walked upstairs. I was exhausted from the ride here and I just wanted to sleep. Upstairs was a large square space that was all wood made and seemed glossy. I loved the old rustic feel of cabins but this was almost like a summer home. There wasn't much here, a bed, a dresser, and a bathroom. Everything else was either downstairs or outside. We arrived just as it was getting dark, it was just light out enough to see the other cabins sprinkled throughout the woods, from what I understand there were other people like me and ruby. People just trying to have a better life than what we've been dealt. I suddenly flashed back to a moment with kilgrave, when I was held captive with no escape. My body started to shake in a way that was frightening! I fell to the ground and my body convulsed for a moment, my eyes rolled back into my head...

~~Present~~

"What the hell Trish!" Jess said angrily.

"What? I thought you would have wanted to know what happened to you to make you like this!?" Trish explained.

"What way Trish? A freak?" Jess countered. While the two bickered and argued I sifted through the papers regarding Jess, some of the files weren't about Jessica but most of the documents were blacked out. One document had a familiar date.

"Guys, you're missing the point. These aren't all about Jess... I think this ones about me..." The two pulled themselves together to look at the documents. "The name and most of the info is blocked out but it has the date I was born and mentions my birthmark..."

"Could be anything," Jess took the paper from me and looked at the report. I lifted my shirt midway and exposed the birthmark.

"An 'X' birthmark... Beneath the ribcage..." Jess looked up and immediately looked concerned. I quickly put my shirt down. "This doesn't make sense..." Jess started filing through more papers. Jessica looked deranged going through papers grabbing some and throwing the others behind her. I tried to keep up and look at the tossed pages, each had name of a different person and information of where they lived. Some pages were stamped with the word 'deceased'... By the time Jess finished gathering relevant documents, Trish and I had sorted the others.

"Oh my god..." Jess muttered.

"What is it, Jess?" Trish asked.

"This date," she showed Trish the paper, "It's the same day as my accident.."

"Wait, what is it?" I asked inserting myself into the conversation.

"It says your birthday was the same day our car crashed.." Jess finally said.

"But... What does that mean?" I asked.

"I don't know yet kid but we'll figure it out," Jess replied.

"What do we do next?" Trish questioned.

"Follow up on the guys still alive.. See what they can tell us," Jess suggested. Trish quickly grabbed a stack of papers.

"I'll follow up on these," Trish called. I started to sift through some names trying to take some pages for myself. Jess took the papers from me and took them upon herself.

"Jess, let me help," I added.

"Its too dangerous," she said trying to end the conversation.

"I can handle it,"

"Im not arguing with you about this," Jess snapped. Trish started to walk away.

"Stop treating me like a kid!" I snapped back.

"I'm not-," Jess tried to defend.

"But you are! You act like I didn't have a life before this. You act like I didn't kill someone.." I blurted.

"I can't lose you!" Jess yelled. "Not again..." She said quieter. I didn't know what to say next. The silence in the room grew to be deafening.

"I'm sorry. You won't, I promise,"