1. Distraction

Jim's POV

Amelie is sitting down on the kitchen table, eating her slice of chocolate cake slowly, as I gently rub her back.

One week and a half ago, we received the news that our baby was lost, and the devastation these days has been immense, not just for both of us, but for our friends and family, too. Today, I can see that Amelie woke up a little calmer. The doctor told us that it is not unusual to lose a baby before it gets to two months, but this didn't help our sadness very much.

Amelie turns to look at me with a weak smile, and I place a soft kiss on her nose.

"Are you okay?" I ask with gentleness.

Amelie just looks at me for a few moments and then nods. "I guess...everything happens for a reason, doesn't it?"

I nod and stroke her cheek softly. "It does."

She then smiles, and wraps her left arm around me, as I grab her fork and take a piece of cake into my mouth, making her complain jokingly.

"James!" she says, making me laugh. "That's my cake!"

I start laughing, my mouth full of cake, and with this Amelie starts laughing with me, as she hits my arm. It's been several days since I've listened to her beautiful laugh...and mine, too.

I can finally say that I feel a little bit better, and I can see that Amelie does, too.

"Look at it this way," I start. "We don't have to be THAT worried about Colin anymore. At least we know that we can defeat him. We did once already, but the baby...it was kind of impossible."

Amelie smiles and nods. "Yeah, I was scared he would do something to the baby."

"And I was scared, too. That's why...in some way...I mean...I kind of don't like to say this, but...in some way...it's for the best, isn't it? Maybe Colin was going to hurt him in a bad way."

Amelie nods, showing her agreement.

The police hasn't been able to find Colin, and the investigation continues. Every single day I check my cell phone, anxious to see a call from the police department or investigator, but I find nothing.

Amelie finally finishes her cake, and stands up from the chair, her silk, sleeping robe open, and showing her shiny, yellow pajamas. Her fluffy slippers sound as she brushes them on the floor, walking up the stairs.

I follow her up, Otis and Rufus behind us. A chill is sent through my spine, as the cool air coming from the air conditioner touches the bare skin of my back.

I close the door of our room behind me, and as I see she is texting something on her phone, I walk to her and hug her waist from behind, as I place a soft kiss on her shoulder.

She turns her phone off, and then brings her hand to my neck, as I rest my chin on her shoulder. I then place a soft kiss on her jawline, then another down to her neck.

"I guess we need some kind of distraction," I say, resting my chin on her shoulder again.

"Yes we do," she says, turning her body to me, and sliding her hands from my chest to my neck, wrapping her arms around me, as I now hold her waist.

"I know...I'll prepare you a hot tub because you need to relax, and then...I'll take you for ice cream."

She smiles at me, making my heart feel warm. "Sounds good."

I place a soft kiss on her lips, as I pull her closer to me, and finally walk to the bathroom, turning the warm water of the tub on.

I really want to make her feel entirely happy, and I have that goal. I can't say that I feel entirely happy myself at the moment because I'd be lying, but there's really nothing we can do about the situation, and I want us to feel better once again.