He is the Love of my Many Lives (Chapter 1)

WARNING: IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE PROLOGUE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO THAT BEFORE YOU READ THIS. :-D

Please comment and let me know what you think.

Chapter 1

Two weeks ago I would have never thought this would happen. I knew they had been trying to find me for a while; hell, they'd been looking for fifty years, but I didn't know they would go this far. They always took things too far; which is why I had left and went on my own. I pressed my head against the window of Luke's truck. The tall man in the trench coat was driving. The city lights eventually faded away in the distance as the trees around the one road we traveled on became thicker and thicker.

"I like your new body Kalina," the man turned his head towards me and raised his eyebrows suggestively. "The previous owner was very beautiful."

"She IS very beautiful," I retorted. "She's still alive."

His expression turned to one filled with anger. "She's still alive?!" he snarled at me. "Do you understand how dangerous that is?" He looked straight at me; blood filling his face. "What if she sees you? Do you not even care what would happen to us if we were found out?" He was screaming now. "We would be slaughtered you idiot! We aren't even supposed to exist!"

He raised his big hand and slapped me in the face causing my head to bounce off of the window. I bit back the tears that threatened to spill over my eyes. I controlled the tiger inside of me roaring to tear him apart for even laying a finger on me. Was it really necessary to beat me because I didn't believe the same things they did?

We shape shifters can morph into objects (more weapons than any other object), animals and most importantly humans. This is how we stay alive for so long. Typically, we find a body that we would like to have and kill the human after we've made a copy of the body our own. Monsters. I didn't believe in killing innocent mothers, daughters, wives, and sisters just to have their body. I would rather die myself than take away a beautiful soul. Instead of killing I stuck to copying bodies from distant countries.

This body belongs to a college student in Australia. I was down under trying to find a new body because the high council was on my trail again. It was 1991 and I saw her on the beach. She had long blonde curly hair that fell to her petite waist. She was tall and gorgeous. I could tell she was always on the beach because of her golden tan. I never even spoke to her. Just saw her and walked away. She has no earthly clue that I am a copy of her.

I raised my fingertips to my left cheekbone and pressed down lightly. The pain made my face flush. It was bruised already. How dare he leave a mark on me! Anger pulsed through my veins as I filled up my mouth with saliva.

I turned my head towards him and spat in his face. "Don't you EVER lay a hand on me again, monster!" The spit I produced in my mouth slid down his right cheek.

The man's breathing increased rapidly. I suddenly became really nervous when I saw the look in his eye. The look he had right before he slapped me.

He clutched the steering wheel tighter and stomped on the breaks causing my head to fly into the dashboard. My nose squished beneath the force of my face and cracked. I screamed in pain and felt the warm oozing of blood coming out of my nose.

The man opened his door and sped around the truck to my side. I quickly tried to lock the door but I fumbled and was too late. He swung open the door, grabbed me by my hair and drug me into the forest. I could have shape shifted into an axe and cut his head off. I could have turned into a lion and torn out his throat. Instead I decided to let him beat me. Obviously, he was new and didn't know how important I was to the high council. They would not be happy. The thought of the high council's punishments made me cringe.

Suddenly he let go, sending my head flying down hard onto the forest floor. I rolled over to my side screaming and crying. I felt a sharp blow to the back of my ribcage and I realized he had kicked me.

I managed to get onto my hands and knees and I tried to crawl away. The man cruelly laughed at my attempt and jumped on top of me.

He turned me over and kneeled on top of me; my body in between his legs.

"Stop..." I accidently spurted blood in his face and this made him even more furious.

The last thing I remember is his fist reeling back to hit me once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up freezing cold. I opened my eyes groggily and looked at the room I was laying in. Was I in a cave? The walls and floors were rock; candles and lanterns were everywhere illuminating the room but not entirely. Shadows danced on the walls as the flames flickered.

I sat up to get a better look around the room. I was lying on a bed in the south corner. There wasn't any other furniture in the room. But a shadow in the corner caught my attention.

Someone was sitting in here with me. My body quivered with fear. The figures head popped up when they heard my quick breathing. I squinted my eyes trying to see who it was.

"Kalina?" the voice asked excitedly.

My heart raced at the sound of the voice that I knew so well. The hole that was in my heart was now filled. It was Luke. He was okay.

Luke stood up and raced to the bed I was sitting on. His shaggy brown hair fell around his face just how I remembered. His face was different though. It was drained of all happiness and life. Dark circles formed under his eyes. His whiter than usual skin was tight around his face. He looked like he hadn't eaten in days. It hurt me to see him like this.

"Luke," I reached out to touch his face but I was too weak. Luke noticed my failure and grabbed my hand. He held it to his face. I saw a tear roll down his cheek.

"What did they do to you Kalina?" his voice was shaking. I could tell he was trying to hold everything in for my sakes.

"Don't worry," I whispered. "I'll be fine. I feel better now than I have in two weeks." I stroked his cheek with my thumb. I felt a tear roll onto my hand.

"Which one was it?" Anger filled his tear-stained eyes. I dropped my hand from his face.

"Shhh..." I was falling back to sleep.

"Okay babe." Luke leaned forward and kissed my swollen cheek. His lips were too soft to cause pain. "I'll be here when you wake up."

As I was drifting to sleep I didn't care I was being held prisoner in a cave and I didn't care that I just had the shit beat out of me. I was with Luke again. His love would heal my wounds...for the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEEEEASE give me some feedback! I wanna know what you guys think!!